General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Were there any bad model years since 2000 for the Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:50 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacemaker
I have an 02 FLHRI, Had to replace cam bearing's, fuel pick up line, stator, head gaskets, fuel ejector wire, a spring in the top part of the transmission. Most of the problems happen when it got just over 50k to present, right now I'm just over 78k. So we'll see what this year has in store for me.
I can see where you had problems. You are too dang young to be riding that hog. You do look cool on there though.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm 52 years old. I've had numerous bikes during that time. I loved every one of them, but I ended up selling each one. With the exception of a financial catastrophe, I do not ever envision selling my 2007 Road King Custom. There are several people on this forum that speak ill of 2007 touring models. Some of them with valid reasons. Most of them speak from ignorance. Some folks DID have problems. The original poster spoke of specifically '07 Road Kings. The problems associated with 2007 touring models were not limited to just Road Kings. A lot of us didn't experience any problems. I, personally don't feel 2007 was a bad Road King year...and I have first hand experience.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:48 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

People have complained about every model year,that's just how it is.I owned 4 AMF bikes and do not remember ever having a single problem with any of them.Maybe I just live right.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
There was and is still so much Bull Szhit on this forum by the same people that never owned an 07 or the 07 was their first Harley or they are just puzzies or somethin'

I have an 07 FLHRS and it has absolutely no, let me repeat this, absolutely no problems. I do have Stage 1, which you want on any Harley, including the 09 and the soon to be released 10, but I have no more heat than an 09, and no need for the vibration BS (IDS) that was put on the 08.

For someone who has an 06 to state that on the 07s the gearing was too high and sixth gear is useless makes me think they are just pizzed that they bought an 06 and missed out on the 96" motor and 6 speed tranny. My 07 runs stronger, smoother, and is geared better than any stock or Stage 1 TC88 and I can not tell any riding difference in it and the 08 or 09.

Buy the one you want. There are no bad years for Harley, including the AMF years. I have had them also.
Not only on this forum, but also numerous articles in American Iron and American Rider attest to the high heat problems on '07 + models.

You could also read this quote from the Nightrider site:

"2007/2008 Harley-Davidson
It doesn't take long after purchasing your new HD that this is a very hot running engine. One of the most common complaints about the new bikes is the heat that comes off the engine and exhaust system. These high operating temperatures can be mostly attributed to the new closed loop operating mode of the EFI system. The OEM closed loop operating mode relies on narrow band oxygen sensors to keep the air fuel ratio at 14.7:1 at idle, under normal riding circumstances and while cruising on the highway."

It doesn't matter what year your bike is, if you have normal intelligence and can read what experts are reporting, you can prevent many problems from occurring. Burstbucker asked if there were any problems specific to the '07 models, and I gave an honest answer. If you have not had any of those problems, count yourself lucky, as thousands of others have had problems--problems that Harley acknowleged and addressed with the IDS and a change in gearing, and now with the '09's, a change in exhaust design, that did not lower the heat, but did get it away from the passenger.

Harley came out with the IDS to address the vibration issue, and also lowered the gearing on newer model bikes to address the too low rpm problems that many people have had. Few of us live in states that have the "wide open spaces" that allow an excessive high six speed gearing to be beneficial.

I count myself lucky that I have not had any of the problems that other TC88 owners have had, such as the "wobble," or cam tensioner problems. But knowing about those problems that others have had, allows me to make rational decisions about whether or not to change out the cams or add a stabilizing link before having a problem.

And yes, I can kick myself to buying an '06 three weeks before the six speed/96" engine was introduced. But then, I haven't had any of the problems the '07's had, and knew going in that I would be addressing the cam chain tensioner issue on a TC88.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 03-04-2009 at 09:02 PM.