General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you talk your wife into a new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine was an unusual case.
It was 2004. I had just been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, I had surgery to remove it since there is no treatment for this kind and the doctor gave me 5 years. The wife said go for it. I did and I bought 2 Harleys. I've since sold 1.
Better yet, I just made 5 years last weekend. My life story is like the song Chumbawumba; I get knocked down but I get up again. You can't keep me down!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Concrete Cowboy 2009
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastedGoat
+1 ....
Yup. except I pay all the bill for the house hold.. and I pay for the Harleys. She pays for her truck.

Go buy the bike, it's your money, it's your bike ...I don't remember reading anything on that marriage license that says "Women owns man now ..he is her slave". If she really loves you , she will understand it (or try to).

I also feel like women lose respect for men who don't stand up for themselves. So......Buy the bike and wear the big boy pants.
Big boy pants huh? You've obviously not seen my overalls. I just can't bring myself to do the seperate money thing. I took an oath that stated that she and I were now one flesh, and that includes finances. Also, she has not lost any respect for me, and I do stand up for myself. She would, however, lose respect for me if I bought a bike without telling her. Would she leave me... no. Could I get by with it... yes. Will I do it... no.

Here is my dilemma: I want her to want to go for a ride every time I hit the starter. If I go behind her back and buy one, she ain't gonna wanna do that. She said she would be ok with me buying a bike, but she wasn't ready. Thing is, its taking 8 to 12 weeks to get an ordered bike in around here. If I'm not careful, riding season will be over.

Loving all these comments! Keep 'em rolling!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:08 PM
trapperdick
Intermediate

I bought the bike, then I talked her into letting me back in the house,,,,

Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We now have 2 dogs instead of 1 & his name is Tucker. I guess it was a fair trade. She's Happy & so am I.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
ropin4gold
Cruiser

My father in law bought my wife a bike. After she got it, she said I needed one to ride with them. Guess I'm a lucky guy.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Bryanp
Tourer

simple, got rid of the wife so i wouldn't ever get yelled at for not asking permission. It's much quiter in my house these days ha ha

Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmmm tuff one heeheehee,my wife thought my 18yr old shov I had was too old so she bought me a 01 FLHTC for Christmas then in Feb 06 I was looking at a Deluxe on the puter when she walked by and looked at it then she said you going to get it,called the dealer and the nxt day I had it in the driveway....
Iam looking at a 09 Ultra but dont want ta push it with her being I dont have a job anymore.....

Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I already had my '73 Sporty when I met my wife in '79. We got married just a little more than a year later. I bought an '81 FXWG when they came out and told my wife I didn't think I was going to sell the Sportster. She thought I was nuts and asked why any man would ever need more than one motorcycle? I reminded her that when I met her I only had one motorcycle, but several girlfriends. Bless her heart, in the last 28 years the question has never come up again.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Sail and Ride
Tourer

For years I'd been telling my wife "If you ever want to buy me a motorcycle, make it a Sportster." She thought I was kidding until one day I came home with one. I believe in It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:04 PM
GreenRK
Cruiser

The day we met I was riding a bike, we went on dates riding, I've had bikes since the age of 9. She knew there was no getting rid of the bikes. 25 yrs have gone by and she insisted I buy the one I have now. Glad she insisted, it's been a great bike.

Quick Reply: How did you talk your wife into a new bike?