General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you talk your wife into a new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife loves to ride and wanted to hear the music but due to having a EGC no rear speakers nor did we have a intercom and she wanted that. So had to upgrade. Now she is HAPPY and we all know when MAMA is happy everyone is happy.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:03 PM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but your wife may be right depending on your financial situation. Personally, if you have student debt and will need to finance the purchase, I would recommend waiting. However, you need to discuss your desires with your wife and help her to understand that it is not a question of 'if' but of 'when' you will be buying a motorcycle and that you hope she would enjoy riding with you once you get it.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Ricci
Same here, my wife wouldn't even BE my wife if she wasn't into riding as much as I am. Take 'em on dates on your bike, if they don't enjoy it send 'em packing! I'm lucky that she's a natural passenger too, hardly even know she's there, never fights or squirms in the turns.
Yes. Marrying the right woman helps greatly with this issue!

Old 02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,178 Likes on 6,713 Posts

See now.......this is the ONLY time that crotch rockets are useful. You go into the nearest Yamazukida dealer and carry on like a bear at the dump. Pick out the ugliest, most uncomfortable-looking model that they have, and start talking about how her *** will look perched on the back of that thing, while you go 130 mph in tennis shoes, shorts, and a helmet.

You will have a Harley so fast, it will make your head spin.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buddy of mine had an Eglide Classic and decided to buy a hopped up sport bike last year for "around town" riding. His wife absolutely hated that bike. So, out of the blue he tells me he is getting a new 09 Ultra - trading both bikes in. I thought about that for a moment and told him he had this planned all along. He just smiled.

So, go buy a sports bike - your wife will hate it so much, she will be delighted for you to trade it on whatever Harley you want.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 PM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol...the 1st wife said no...2nd one said yeah....then i put the divorce papers away.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I went and bought this Softail in the morning, and then told her about it when she got home from work

Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Are some great answers here .. I was widowed when met my present wife and told her miss my riding ... Sold it when she was so ill and spending all the time with her with what littl time she had left to cancer.. When mentioned to new wife who at the time was just a friend said you retire in 2 years if still want one Go for it ... I did and she rides with me sometimes other times prefers to stay home but she was very understanding overall .. She used to ride her own until knee surgery stopped her from riding her own ... But is usually quite happy to ride along with me ..

Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Easy we werent married yet.....lol

Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Surprise Surprise!

I came home one day, laid the Bill of Sale and other papers on my dresser, said “Honey, I’m home and by the way, I need you to drive me to the big city next Saturday to pick up “our” Harley!”.

Was she shocked? Yes.

Was she upset? No, because we had talked about it for years.

Does she like it? Hell yeah, I can't get her off of it!

Would I do it again? No brainer: yes I certainly would.

Quick Reply: How did you talk your wife into a new bike?