General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you talk your wife into a new bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 PM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Concrete Cowboy 2009
No need to be sorry, I asked for opinions, and thats what I got. However, the financial side of the matter is not what she is concerned about. She was one of those smart girls who didn't have to pay for college, and I did o.k. myself. I think its the smartness that is getting me in deeper.

She loves to ride around in the mountains in a cage, so I know she'd love it on a bike. I'm not going to push it though.

On the other hand, I don't have much of choice. I would think that most of you understand. Its in my blood -- a way of life if you will. Insert Cliche here: "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand." If i'm not riding, I'm thinking about riding. Its a matter of keeping my sanity! Anybody feel me?

Thanks for all the comments, they're awesome! Keep 'em coming. I'm learning a lot.
Then you just need to tell her what it means to you. My wife wanted me to have a Harley as soon as I told her that I had always wanted one. She is the one who always tells me how she loves to see "that smile on my face" when I come back from a ride on my Ultra, and she wants to be a part of whatever brings me pleasure.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Gunfighter13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Concrete Cowboy 2009
Ok, lets hear it: how'd you do it. I'm having trouble talking the Mrs. into a new bike, and I need some info.

I had to sell out to go to school, but I'm ready to buy back now. She is a nursing student and all she worries about is the worst case scenario. I love her, but I love to ride too. What should I do. (Divorce or Murder is not an option) Lady opinions are also welcomed.
Worst fight ever with the GF was when I got a new bike. A year later and she will not ride but has started buying me Harley related items. This is a big concession for her. Hang in there sooner or later she will come around.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:05 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Default How did I talk my wife into a new bike?

No convincing necessary. One great thing about having a wife who rides; she's always up for buying a new (or different) bike.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Rick1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife knew the deal going in. Dad has been a biker since the 60's. Some of my greatest memories were being shaken awake in the middle of the night by my father when I was between 5-12, because he wanted to take me for a ride downtown. Still one of my favorite rides, cruising through downtown Houston at about 3 in the morning. When it is in your blood it just is. I love my wife more than anything, but me not riding was not a debatable topic and she is a good enough woman that she willingly accepted it as fact. I have always known that I am lucky in that regard. She has always allowed me to be me, even if me is wrong.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your supposed to ask 'em?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:52 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

God she loves its. She tells he friends and other nurses that its the most fun you can have with your man between your legs with your clothes on!! Hows that for a transformation............

Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Concrete Cowboy 2009
Cruiser

Ok guys, here's how it went down. We talked about it, she cried. I hate to see her cry. Nevertheless, I wanted her to understand my position. After about thirty minutes of discussion, I think she understood me. Kind of. Anyway, we compromised. She said she wasn't ready, and I said I was. So we're going to wait till the 2010's come out, and order a new one then. She said I could have what I wanted, so you better believe it'll be chromed out the hind-end when it leaves the dealer!

Thanks for all the cool posts. Keep the shiney side up, and hopefully our paths will cross one day.... just have to wait till about October.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 AM
PnDegc
Road Master

You made her cry
Rut roh......Now she has a really big chip to play. And its Always about the Big Chip Stack.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not married so I didn't have this problem. But my girlfriend is pissed that the nightster is a solo seat so I told her eventually I will put a double seat on it, haha. I'm still a novice so I can get away with saying I'm still not comfortable to throw a second body on the bike.
My cousin however is married and believe it or not his wife wants him to get a harley. Right now he rides a V-star 700 or 800cc (somewhere around there) And his wife is worried that it's not going to be enough power to pull both of them. So he is going along with it and looking at some beautiful harleys.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Dog Folks
Intermediate

I "bought " my first Harley and then told the wife that night. I had not signed the papers just in case. She said O.K., as I had stopped riding to buy a home, raise a family, etc.

The interesting thing was the wife's response. After only a few days of riding on the back, she said, "I have always wanted to ride my own.+ After 30 years of being together, I NEVER knew. It floored me!

She took Riders edge and we started our riding adveture together.

She has gone from: "Will you take me for a ride." to "I am going for a ride, do you want to go?"

What a wonderful monster I have created. She likes to ride even more than I do!

Now retired and traveling around the country, we downgraded from Big Twins to Sportsers to ease loading them in the back of the pickup.

She has often told me if I said to her, "You can't ride your own", she would have dropped the idea. I am so glad that I supported her dream.

Quick Reply: How did you talk your wife into a new bike?