General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no-mar tire changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
shorty07ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no-mar tire changer

has anyone used this system and is it really as easy as they show with the videos.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 PM
shorty07ultra
Cruiser

bump to the top

Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I hesitated to reply to this when you first posted since what I have is the No-Mar adapter for a Coats 220 motorcycle tire changer (which was the standard of the industry for manual changers.)

What the No-Mar offers that's way better than the Coats machine is that it's deep enough that you don't need to remove the rear sprocket or any brake rotors when changing a tire.

However, on their videos they show you using their special long-handled tool to just pop off a tire. That works great on most sportbike and standard motorcycle tires, but I could do it that easily with my original Coats tire tool.

On Harley tires (I'm only familiar with the 16" Touring tires), the sidewalls on the Dunlops are so stiff that what you need are the flat tire irons that No-Mar sells, so you wind up manually levering the tires off the rims. It's a fair amount of work, but I'm not sure that ANY changer short of a professional (several thousand dollars) automatic changer can make the job any easier.

So I like my No-Mar conversion (and consider it indispensible), but I don't think that even buying the whole No-Mar machine will turn the job into the breeze you see in the videos. I know that I received a DVD with my unit that does show them using a No-Mar changer for heavy touring bike tires, and they use the flat irons.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 PM
shorty07ultra
Cruiser

thank you for the response

Old 02-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Dave54
Cruiser

cycletrash98 has one and kindly let me use it he has it set up to mount on the wall.his work bench(which weighs more than my pick/up) or mounts on trailer hitch best damn tire changer I've ever used and it can be used for more than just bikes and nomar is the perfect name for it too you'd have to be an idiot to scratch a wheel using it and yes
it is as easy as they show on their site

Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I have a No-Mar tire changer. After a little practice, yes it is easy to change tires. They have video instructions/ techniques on their website and the vids are on a DVD they send out for free. Been very happy with mine, and having 4 bikes, it has paid for itself over and over as most of my bikes eat tires. The Harley gives me the most mileage, haven't changed a tire yet but have one waiting when it wears out soon.
The most difficult tire I have encountered is on my KTM 950 which is really hard to get off, so it takes me about 10-15minutes to get it off the wheel.

The machines are truly NO MAR as advertised. Another big plus is the trailer hitch adapter. I take the No MAR with me on long trips with multiple bikes along with spare tires. Nice to have it far from civilization.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM
cycletrash98
Cruiser
Thumbs up it is as easy

I purchased my no mar tire changer last year. I have a lot of cheap friends so we change alot of tires hanging out in my garage, It is well worth it! other than buying an actual tire changer (coats ) this is the best way & you won't scracth your rims .

Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just saw cookimeech's post about getting tire beads popped and I can assure the No Mar bead breaker will break ANY motorcycle bead and will not mar your rim doing it.
I have used it on 210 50 16 inch tires 240's, the beastly rim DOUBLE beads on my KTM 950 Adventure rims, the super tight 180-50 ZR16's on my Ducati, and the beads on one 17" tire just for grins from my Chevy Avalanche.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
cycletrash98
Cruiser
Default 2nd that!

After breaking tires down with the no mar , I can't see any other way to make it easier to break down a tire. I previously had a tire changer from Harbor frieght . There is no comparison between the two . No mar all the way!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:43 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

To clarify, I had NO problems breaking the beads on any tire (with the conversion kit, you get the No-Mar bead breaker to replace the Coats breaker.)

Quick Reply: no-mar tire changer