General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying new

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default buying new

hey guys a newbie here havn't rode in 25 yrs but have been drooling over bike since i can remember.
anyway i when to the local HD dealer here in raleigh,nc.
seems like a cool place very friendly shome everything about the place and i told the sales guy i was just looking around and wanted to see what bikes are going for so on and so forth
he gave me a brouche and i left came back about a week later and we chatted again I asked for some numbers on a fxdc with optional paint. i told him i need to know waht i looking at so i can work this out
here iswhat he wrote down
msrp: $13654( what HD what website say)
friegth&setup: $925. (other bike) in showroom say setup 300.00)
tax: $441.
plus: $281.(no idea what this is)
tags: $65.
what do u think? I wondering if he was just trying to screw me because i stilljust looking? we sat down with the finance guy and he worked out a monthly, 250ish lol

Old 02-23-2009, 11:36 AM
Tbyrd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am assuming your talking about Ray Price, I was down there this past summer. One thing I noticed was every bike there had an "out the door" price on it, which is nice to know when looking. I noticed that, although they claim to be an MSRP dealer, several bikes had little additions like your Dyna there. When I questioned the saleswoman, who was very nice, she stated that they install accessories on a lot of their bikes so that was the difference from MSRP. She referred to it as a "dealer custom." I found it odd, but at least they were honest about it.

EDIT. In any event, in today's economy I would not pay freight or setup especially if I was paying MSRP

Last edited by Tbyrd; 02-23-2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior

i was looking at the dyna the way it came ftom the factory no add ons
$925.00 for F&S that crazy
a dealer 30 miles away theirs was $400.00
yea the seem like a mrrp dealer sale guy told me that but it they are adding on all those extra charges msrp means nothing
yea not paying f&S is my thinking also

Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM
hardluk1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are a good dealer as dealers go ,Lots of support from them But down get caught in there game. If you can live with a in stock bike and tell them you have no interest in addon's they have dealt well in the past. I bought 1 bike there in 02 for msrp out the door in febuary. Try to call greensboro hd they have always been a msrp dealer and in the colder months they could your dealer of choice. They have 3 dealers under there franshise.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
dreamer65
Road Warrior

hey thanks i need all the education i can get on buying

Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a few years off of riding and when I decided to get back in the saddle I knew just what I wanted. I also have known my local dealer for over 30 years so I got a very good deal. That was last May, if I was buying today I would be watching the papers, ebay, and Craigslist. The economy is too iffy and there are some serious deals to be had on low milage bikes.

In any event I would do some serious shopping around before I bought as there are some dealers who are looking to make a deal, at least till it warms up!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like they were charging you for an alarm which runs about $281.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to a dealership special event and went inside to look at pricing and what a shock. Not one price on any bike was at MSRP they were alot higher.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:32 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

The other place to look if not stuck on new is (iwanna) Lots of bikes ,some at a good price with people just try'n to get out from under them. Personal i would buy a late model evo.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM
sporty06
Road Captain

A lot dealers that claim to be MSRP dealers are just bs'ing you. Most of them are way over the msrp freight that harley shows on their website. In my opinion you can't be called a MSRP dealer unless you follow ALL of the msrp figures on the Harley website.

sporty06

Quick Reply: buying new