General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying new

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

skooba you made good points i agree with you
years ago i worked part time at a bike dealer ship up in LI,ny we get a truck load of kawasaki's (am i alowed to say that word on this forum lol)
we pay some guy to put them together took him more time to get it out of the crate then to set it up
what set up was, oil, gas, start it, ok good to go
thats why i was kinda po about 925. for F&S
once again thanks for the opions

Last edited by dreamer65; 02-24-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior

thanks guy

Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
08FXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be able to wheel and deal with them a little more once you show that you are ready to purchase.
I paid MSRP OTD on mine...

Old 03-05-2009, 02:45 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior

hey still shopping here prices are getting better looks like thanks for all your help and input

Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer65
hey guys a newbie here havn't rode in 25 yrs but have been drooling over bike since i can remember.

If you haven't riden in 25 years...... a used bike, might be a better deal on re-entry.... but if you do go new, I'd ask about them giving you a "free" Rider's Edge class. Make sure all those cobwebs get cleared away.

PLUS, the wife would probably get on board with the purchase, knowing you were taking a safety class.

I've given you my two cents regarding RPHD, Shelton's, and Rocky Mount, whichever YOU decide, please take the class. You can service the bike yourself, you can bring the bike to ANY dealership, or indy for service, you can buy chrome ANYWHERE... but the best OTD is the best OTD.

Frank

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,269 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Around the Raleigh area there is no shortage of Harley dealers.

Take your time and shop around. Shelton's in Smithfield is 20 minutes from Ray Price. Durham is about the same. There is also Goldsboro, Greensboro, Roanoke Rapids, Winterville, Charlotte and a few others.

I have nothing against buying from Ray Price, they always have a great selection. Their parts guys are real good (which means a lot)

Just saying don't let the shiny paint and warm weather make you crazy. Shopping is half the fun.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the ElectraGlide Standard is one of the best buys going,the nearest dealer in Ar doesn't even carry any,not enough markup I guess,had to ride to Tulsa to see a new one.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:54 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I did.
Do a little research, decide what your willing to pay for the bike, get pre qualified financing, go in show the salesperson which bike you want, (its important to KNOW what you want before you start dealing), let him know up front you already have the financing arranged, and make your offer $200.00 less than you are willing to pay. When they start to ho hum over numbers give him your business card with the bike and amount you are willing to pay written on the back, tell them to give you a call, politely excuse yourself (tell them you have some other business you need to take care of) and leave the store!
If they want to sell you a bike they will give you a call. If not go to another dealer.
99% of the time they will call you and want you to come in. When you get there they will want to haggle, you will have a $200 head start on your haggling. If the price goes above this, be patient, and leave again.
If your offer has them making a profit, they will eventually come around.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:24 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skootchnc
If you haven't riden in 25 years...... about them giving you a "free" Rider's Edge class. Make sure all those cobwebs get cleared away.

PLUS, the wife would probably get on board with the purchase, knowing you were taking a safety class.

Frank
yea i was going to take the rider edge course because i forgot to take the test when i got my NC driver lic. yea i was hoping to get my wife to take it also she not a fan of bikes.got a couple of dealers say i could get the bike for 14500.OTD thaqts better that the price rphd and sheltons gave me, but to be fair to those two dealers i havn't been back to them to see what they would offer
thanks guy i love the info.
be safe

Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would tell them that I don't care whether they call it F&S or MSRP or what. Decide what you can afford and give them your offer. Tell them what your bottom line OTD price is and let them call it what they want on their sales sheet. In this economy, even HD's aren't selling well. Stick to your guns and also look at used bikes from private sellers. Lots of folks are hurting and are selling off luxury items at bargain basement prices.

Quick Reply: buying new