General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this typical dealer bs

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009 | 05:34 PM
beano25
|
Novice
Default is this typical dealer bs

A friend of mine who knows the salesman and just bought his second bike there took my RK into the dealer while I was working and told them I'd buy a new custom for msrp, tax, tittle, prep etc for 5500 trade in plus a 500 gift card. He calls me from there and says salesman says its doable but I need to come in and propose it on paper myself.
I get the saleman on the phone and he repeats the same about i need to submit proposal on paper.
Is that the norm or could he have said come on in tomorrow and we'll start the paper work or am i in for the usual try to bump me up game which there famous for

Old 02-22-2009 | 05:39 PM
anubisss
Banned

Everything is taken more seriously when youa re actually there in person. Stick to your guns though, as they have been known to tack on all kinds of different "fee's" for stuff.

Old 02-22-2009 | 05:42 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Like lucky said. Think of how many times a salesman or woman hears ill be back tomorrow. Or on the phone hey can you do this and this etc. If everyone of those times were for real there would be no bikes on the showroom floor.

Old 02-22-2009 | 05:55 PM
Big Pig
Road Master

a) Yes it is pretty standard to want you in there to know your are serious and can also actually either qualify for a loan or pay in cash. Salesmen don't like to waste time on maybe type deals, which they consider over the phone, internet, and not in person dealings. I have bought a bike over the phone from a dealer that was 350 miles away BUT I also gave them a credit card deposit to show I was serious before we really dealt.

b) your current RK must be a high mileage dog if you are willing to only take $5,500 for it. I have seen 20 year old bikes bring that much. Just saying....

Old 02-22-2009 | 06:11 PM
beano25
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Big Pig
a) Yes it is pretty standard to want you in there to know your are serious and can also actually either qualify for a loan or pay in cash. Salesmen don't like to waste time on maybe type deals, which they consider over the phone, internet, and not in person dealings. I have bought a bike over the phone from a dealer that was 350 miles away BUT I also gave them a credit card deposit to show I was serious before we really dealt.

b) your current RK must be a high mileage dog if you are willing to only take $5,500 for it. I have seen 20 year old bikes bring that much. Just saying....
yup bike is a 1995 RK 76,000 mile and its leaking oil which there aware of, I'm taking somewhat of a bath but none of the other dealers I've went too want a 1995. but my buddy brought in the price 14,953 OTD fron the other dealer and they know I'm serious and its a cash sale. Just got this crap feeling there gonna play the games which I'm not in the mood to play. anyway I told them I'd be in tomorrow at 10.30 am. and hopefully leaving with a new scoot, but the minute I hear well we need etc I'm walking

Old 02-22-2009 | 06:15 PM
anubisss
Banned

What you should try is writing your final price for all on the back of your business card and handing to them when you walk in. Tell them that this is what you are willing to pay and go to walk out. If he stops you before you get out the door, you should be good. If you don't hear back within the first 20 minutes go elsewhere.

Old 02-22-2009 | 06:24 PM
beano25
|
Novice

Originally Posted by anubisss
What you should try is writing your final price for all on the back of your business card and handing to them when you walk in. Tell them that this is what you are willing to pay and go to walk out. If he stops you before you get out the door, you should be good. If you don't hear back within the first 20 minutes go elsewhere.
Thats a great Idea anubisss, that should save me the hassle of listening to some closer trying to tell me some 30 minute bs story.

Old 02-22-2009 | 06:31 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

I'd be expecting to get jerked around a bit. But you gotta be willing to suit up if you wanna play the game. Sales manager might come in and say there's no way he can let his saleman sell the bike that price.

I think if you stick to your guns you'll get what you're looking for. They know once you walk out the door you might never come back. That's a lost sale and lost commission.

Old 02-22-2009 | 10:22 PM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
I'd be expecting to get jerked around a bit. But you gotta be willing to suit up if you wanna play the game. Sales manager might come in and say there's no way he can let his saleman sell the bike that price.

I think if you stick to your guns you'll get what you're looking for. They know once you walk out the door you might never come back. That's a lost sale and lost commission.

+1 on this answer. And get everything in writing. Do absolutely nothing based on word of mouth. A year ago I traveled 800 miles to a dealer and almost got screwed out of a deal that was made over the phone. Luckily the salesman I was dealing with had sent me a contract to sign and then mailed me a copy back with a receipt for my deposit. Had he not done that I would have traveled 800+ miles for naught. By time I got there, the original salesman was MIA and the remaining salesmen and sales manager was trying there damdest to shake me off the awsome deal me and the salesman who was no longer there had hammered out over months of phone calls. The paperwork in hand and the deposit receipt saved the day. Those other guys were jerk offs and they know it. I am still friends today with the original salesmanager even though he is no longer working there.

Old 02-22-2009 | 10:42 PM
Grind
Road Master

I skipped the salesman and went straight for the manager. Well, only because the salesman I had been working with over the past few weeks was off that day. I had been working on all my numbers (bike price, freight, set-up, document fees, trade-in, etc.) that day at work. I was out and about that afternoon on the side of town where the dealer was. I knew my salesman was off that day, but I stopped in anyhow and talked to the sales manager. Told him what I wanted and what I could get at a dealer 80 miles away (I, too, had been on the phone, trying to make a deal), he punched his calculator and said he could do it. I based my numbers on a black bike, but all they had in stock was pewter. I mentioned that to the manager and he said, "No problem, you can have the pewter for the price of a black one. It'd cost me more to find a black one and get it here than to discount the pewter." So, I got a higher priced bike than what I asked for.

Quick Reply: is this typical dealer bs