General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this typical dealer bs

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009 | 11:55 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Use the silent treatment. When they go out of your parameters, tell them it's not good enough and then shut up. The silence will kill him.

Old 02-23-2009 | 06:56 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

The last couple of vehicles that I have purchased (my Street Glide and my wife's new car), they had us sign an offer sheet saying we would buy if they met the price. Both times they met my price once I did that. Stick to your guns.

We walked on one dealer for the car when the salesman wouldn't meet our price, then said that his manager really wanted to sell us something. I said, apparently he doesn't want to bad enough, and we walked.

Old 02-23-2009 | 09:00 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

I don't understand why guys have such a problem with the game of you're selling, I'm buying. I really like playing this game. The key is you have to be willing to walk away, just not very fast. It gets easier when you're dealing with dealers you have done business with before. I also only deal with the sales manager or at least demand that he be present so there's no "I have to take this to someone else" crap. Before I get the feedback that "yeah, but you ride a Firefighter bike and there is no haggling over price". You're right except for the fact that there is a trade-in to deal with. Just say to yourself, "when I leave here I want that feeling that I've done everything I can to get the best deal for myself and I'm fairly certain I've left nothing on the table". Oh, yeah leave you emotions at home.

Old 02-23-2009 | 10:10 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

My former wife decided to buy a RK. The dealer in VA would not deal. I went to the local dealer in Racine, WI asked Dave what kind of deal she could get on a new RK. I got the numers, she called the Dave the next day and the deal was done. She used here credit card to seal the deal! They would have sent the paper work for her to sign, but she was coming back in a week so she signed everything when she came back. Oh, she saved almost $2000.

Last edited by GT_RoadGlide; 02-23-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2009 | 10:19 AM
Silvertip
Cruiser

Instead of writing your numbers on your business card, what I like to do is write them a cheque with your final dollar on it and sign it. Salesman will take that to the sales mgr and bring it back as not enough money. You then carefully tear your signature off the cheque and leave the cheque with the salesman. Tell him to call if he changes his mind and walk out. That cheque has all your info on it and the dealer can even call your bank and verify funds. They will call within the hour usually to accept the deal. It's worked for me.

Old 02-23-2009 | 11:19 AM
beano25
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Silvertip
Instead of writing your numbers on your business card, what I like to do is write them a cheque with your final dollar on it and sign it. Salesman will take that to the sales mgr and bring it back as not enough money. You then carefully tear your signature off the cheque and leave the cheque with the salesman. Tell him to call if he changes his mind and walk out. That cheque has all your info on it and the dealer can even call your bank and verify funds. They will call within the hour usually to accept the deal. It's worked for me.
I just got back from the dealer, took my business card in with my offer gave it to salesman he took the numbers wrote it on some paper had me sign it, 5 minutes later came back out with it 300.00 higher and said how about paying for half the alarm system? I waited 3 minutes said no you'll make ten times that in extras and that I have another job I have to go to so call me if you can swing it, he crossed it out put original price back asked me to wait a second, came out with manager and said if I don't sell you it for this I know your gonna buy elsewhere then said CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!
shook hands told them to start paper work and I'd be back at three, they made a copy of my drivers license and shook hands again and started to walk out and I then walked back and said TO THE MANAGER, just to make sure when I get back I'm gonna see my price on that contract! he said it will.
so thanks for the help from the dudes in here proud owner of a 2009 super glide custom

Old 02-23-2009 | 01:21 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

Well I guess everyone here has their own way of negotiating. My time is way to valuable to walk in to a dealer and sit down with a salesperson to see if they will give me the price I'm willing to pay. Once I know my number I start calling dealers to see who has the bike I want. Once I locate it I tell them I'm not the "typical" HD customer who will pay whatever in hell they ask and thank them for it. I'm a cash buyer and not willing to screw around. I tell them my price and let them know I'm ready to buy today. If they need to call me back, then I let them know I'll be on the phone with the next dealer on my list. So far, I've always gotten the price I wanted. Try it. You just might be surprised how quickly they take your deal, as a thank you for dealing with you, send them a tube of vaseline. Ha! Ha!

Last edited by tda69; 02-23-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2009 | 01:24 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

Well....looks like you already got the deal you wanted. Congratulations.

Last edited by tda69; 02-23-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2009 | 01:44 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by beano25
so thanks for the help from the dudes in here proud owner of a 2009 super glide custom
There ya go. Enjoy the new ride.

Old 02-24-2009 | 02:38 AM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by beano25
I just got back from the dealer, took my business card in with my offer gave it to salesman he took the numbers wrote it on some paper had me sign it, 5 minutes later came back out with it 300.00 higher and said how about paying for half the alarm system? I waited 3 minutes said no you'll make ten times that in extras and that I have another job I have to go to so call me if you can swing it, he crossed it out put original price back asked me to wait a second, came out with manager and said if I don't sell you it for this I know your gonna buy elsewhere then said CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!
shook hands told them to start paper work and I'd be back at three, they made a copy of my drivers license and shook hands again and started to walk out and I then walked back and said TO THE MANAGER, just to make sure when I get back I'm gonna see my price on that contract! he said it will.

Alright! Good job, good for you and congrats!

Quick Reply: is this typical dealer bs