General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading a bike into a pickup truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 AM
GreenRK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too was going to recommend the lift for the back of the motorhome like the one from Jones RV.

My dad had a big ramp style one that went across the rear of his motorhome and the tow hitch then mounted to that for the car (he didn't want to spend the money on a lift type). he used his for a number of years safely.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:02 AM
martyandpeg
Intermediate
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SteelCityScooter
YES and NO.

(I gave my Uncle a call to get his input for this posting.)

My Uncle was using the Cruiser Ramp on his pickup behind his motor coach to load and unload his Ultra when on the road. (He and my Aunt normally travel 6 to 9 months of the year)

He liked the system, but didn't like towing around a 3/4 ton pickup all the time. Or the hassle of dropping the drive shaft and reinstalling it on the PU (it has a Automatic tranny, and he is getting a bit older).
Thanks for the response (the first one that even mentioned CruiserRamp). It is much easier for me; our truck is also an automatic, but is completely flat-towable. Just push the brake pedal and wait for the tow light to come on steady to put it into neutral.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
powaypete
Road Master

Originally Posted by martyandpeg
Ok, .

The first is the Rampage lift (www.rampagelift.com).

The other one is called the CruiserRamp (www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserramp.html).

So, I see lots of reveiw on Rampage, but not many on CruiserRamp. Has anyone used one, seen one, loved one, hated one, would sell thier first born for one?

Thanks;

Marty
My Father-In-Law used to use one of these on his MH but had it it mounted to the frame of the the coach so he could pull his boat. He liked it alot.
http://www.rvlifts.com/index.asp

Sorry I can't help with a review on the other but you know what they say "You get what you paid for"

Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
StreetBobJD
Intermediate

It is amazing, no it's not! After stating several times that you can't pull a trailer behind a P/U that is being pulled by a motorhome, you keep getting the suggestion to buy a trailer. Then those that somehow think that you must have more invested in your motorhome than they do in their house. That may be true for those in a "candominium", I guess.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

OK, so trade for the toy hauler. Have the hydraulic lift put on the back of it. Now buy a big enclosed car trailer which would carry the pickup and the bike too if desired.

Now you have three places to choose from about where to put the bike.

Oh, and get a couple of 2x4's to put the bike in the trailer.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Dunno a thing about those pickup lifts you asked about.

Have you ever thought about getting a toy hauler to pull your
motorhome with?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I did see the cruiserlift in action. I live in a motorhome and a guy stopped in the park for a week and unloaded his ultra from the back of a colorado P/U. I thought about getting the same rig but did not like the winch and ramp idea. As I watched him load the bike the center ramp scared me a bit. After a lot of discussion I did not make the purchase. I use an enclosed trailer for lots of reasons. I need a small shop for my musical instrument building and repair. The wife just takes the car and I drag the trailer.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 AM
slomotion
Cruiser
Default The fastest way to load a bike

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8vggli15no

Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 PM
dinahmoedave
Advanced

I think the Rampage is the better built unit of the two, too bad their web site isent as good as the other. We are planning on something like that also to tow the bike and truck. Try the Escapees web sites for info or maybe even the FMCA sites. Escapees forum is www.rvnetwork.com. Good luck and let us know what you get. I wouldent mind checking out the used unit over in Pittsburg area but for that price probably better off with new and warranty.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default toytrax/rampage

I was just checking on this thread and thought Id better step back in and make the following reality known. Anyone can buy the new one for $2400 plus shipping plus sales tax. and end up with probably $1000 over the price I put on mine. I wanted to make it clear that mine has been used 3 times in 3 years, to daytona and back, one loading each way and kept clean and dry under a tonneau all the other times. It is as new but without warranty. I also merely mentioned that there was possibility I could be talked out of it and even now suspect that was a premature statement. I truly feel there is no better way to move these machines around and would be forced to adapt to the trailering method of getting around. The downside is that most condo assoc. in daytona forbid trailer parking on the property. The only reason I even gave thought to selling is that I have to haul all the luggage, and other household things we take in the open bed of the truck in order to stay a month in fl. and load everything in plastic bags to preserve for the trip down and back, honestly, thats a pain. Good planning is required on anyones part before making these kinds of decisions.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:37 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to sidetrack but whoever suggested 2 2x4's and a 24' sheet of plywood should put down that bong.

Quick Reply: Loading a bike into a pickup truck