General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loading a bike into a pickup truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yur outta my leeeg.
I use a Furd van, foldin' alum ramp and a 2 place snobeel trayla. I can get all 3 scoots on it with room ta spare. AND the only reezun we use that is because Momma needs 2 "RUB"ber maid tubs fulla clothes, a tent that looks like it came from "Lifestyles of the Rich N Famous", and I WANT a queen sized air matress. And I am 56, and the chop is a hardtail. The rest we pack on the scoot.

The campground we stay at in Sturgis, gets a bunch of folks like you. (Katmandu) I see those auto loaders all over, but no idea who is using what.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a used Kendon trailer for $500.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 AM
sneeds12
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your Ol Lady to drive the RV and you ride the bike.Use the money you save for a new
HD Tshirt.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ramp

This thread isn't about what I hoped it would be, I am not going to buy that much equipement becuase I don't have that much use for it.

I may have to haul my bike to Daytona or part of the way to Daytona in the back of my pick up.

I was thinking of getting 2 8' 2X4s and a liece of plywood about 24' wide and making a ramp. the becuase I have friends ti the neighborhood put the bike on back so that I can ride it off the truck instead of backing it off when I don't have any help, then driving it back onto the truck for my way home.

Is this a suicide mission?

If I get out of the cold and want to ride, what do I do, go to a long term parking in an airport or is there a better option?

If I can get a fifty degree day to start off with I should probably just ride, Indy is only about 15 hours by mapquest, probably 20 on a bike though.

To the Origanl Poster starting this thread, your living the dream guy.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:18 AM
martyandpeg
Intermediate

You know, I really do appreciate all the posts, but it really is not helping me out here.

1) I'm not trading in my coach. I'm not buying a trailer. I'm tired of ramps.

2) Our coach is our home. We live in it. I'm not on vacation with it. I'm not camping. we do travel quite abit. It is just me, her, two cats, the coach, the truck and the Harley

If you used one, great, tell me how you like it. If not, then......

Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 AM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default rampage/toy trax

I can give you first hand info as I have had one for 3 years. It may well be the best/easiest way to get 900lbs in and out of a p/u. The down side for you is the bed length and there is no way around it. The tailgate will have to stay down when the unit is in the bed, period. Even though they say you can remove the unit in 3 pieces of 150 lbs each, the labor and times usage will discourage this. I would highly recommend this unit for your usage, requirements. I think I know of a used unit that is avail but the owner is in daytona for the next month. I also have thought about selling mine and getting a trailer but figured Id have a hard time finding a buyer who could come to pa. and get it. I (possibly) could be talked out of mine for $1900 cash and it it as new and kept under tonneau when not in use. If you have not done so, i suggest you log onto rampage website and watch loading video, it would surely make up your mind. good luck don

Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank goodness for dgoodbmw.
We need to move our Ultra long distances also, so we considered the power lifts. Its serious money, but the deal breaker for us was weight. Check the manual of your p/u, make sure the combined bike and lift weight doesn't exceed your payload. You are also changing the pull on your towed vehicle frame.
For us, a quality ramp system, a convenient format and a bike chock worked. Have fun shopping, perhaps we will see you, your bride, your bike and your caravan if you roll over the 49th parallel.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoodbmw
I can give you first hand info as I have had one for 3 years. It may well be the best/easiest way to get 900lbs in and out of a p/u. The down side for you is the bed length and there is no way around it. The tailgate will have to stay down when the unit is in the bed, period. Even though they say you can remove the unit in 3 pieces of 150 lbs each, the labor and times usage will discourage this. I would highly recommend this unit for your usage, requirements. I think I know of a used unit that is avail but the owner is in daytona for the next month. I also have thought about selling mine and getting a trailer but figured Id have a hard time finding a buyer who could come to pa. and get it. I (possibly) could be talked out of mine for $1900 cash and it it as new and kept under tonneau when not in use. If you have not done so, i suggest you log onto rampage website and watch loading video, it would surely make up your mind. good luck don
AND here ya go, Marty. Roll up the awning. Ramp the scoot in one mo' time. Point the nose north, roll up to Pennsyltucky, cut a deal. Ramp the scoot out, go for a NICE putt 'round the area. Come back, dgood will have the unit installed in yur tow truck. Ride onto it. Throw da switch, GTG.
OH YA, don't ferget ta pay fer it.
Purdy dammt good o' dgood to offer ta mount it fer ya. Don't cha tink?
Nah, ya don't have ta Thank me. Glad ta help both o' ya out.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
AND here ya go, Marty. Roll up the awning. Ramp the scoot in one mo' time. Point the nose north, roll up to Pennsyltucky, cut a deal. Ramp the scoot out, go for a NICE putt 'round the area. Come back, dgood will have the unit installed in yur tow truck. Ride onto it. Throw da switch, GTG.
OH YA, don't ferget ta pay fer it.
Purdy dammt good o' dgood to offer ta mount it fer ya. Don't cha tink?
Nah, ya don't have ta Thank me. Glad ta help both o' ya out.
sounds like a plan to me... and since you're turtling it... no big deal!

let us know how it turns out, some of us really are interested - and may follow suit.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:57 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

WITH THE BAD ECONOMY THERE ARE alot OF VERY NICE ENCLOSED TRAILERS FOR 2600.00 AND UNDER. PLUS YOU CAN LEAVE MOST OF YOUR STUFF IN IT WHEN NOT IN USE, THROW DOWN AN AIR MATRESS AND SLEEP IN IT. GO FOR THE TRAILER.

Quick Reply: Loading a bike into a pickup truck