General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest route to paint my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Jhorra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheapest route to paint my bike?

Is this possible to do myself? I'm basically looking to just paint the tank and bot fenders. Do I need to remove all three to accomplish this, and if so how hard is it to remove the gas tank?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:59 PM
emtjayb
Cruiser

yes you need to remove all three to paint otherwise the overspray will end up all over your bike. not sure about your tank, mine is just held on with two bolts.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:04 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

I used to do body work and paint...I did most of the work to my Nova and I know how to paint..IMHO I would remove all 3 because you wouldnt want any splash from the paint to get on your forks frame etc..and even if you mask off the areas really well u still wont be able to get in the cracks etc...Take your time when painting you dont want your bike to end up like crap u want it to look good When using a paint gun also if you get too close or overlap the paint too much to the tins and fenders ur going to have the paint *run* then u might have to start all over so just take ur time and research it a little bit

As far as removing the tank, i removed the tank on my 82FXR wasnt too hard for me on that bike, but idk about my Street Bob or the newer bikes

Old 02-20-2009, 03:06 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

No matter how careful you are, or how much tape and paper you use, you will get overspray in places you don't want it. That is if you try to paint them while still on the bike.

First thing you need to do is remove the seat(s). That will help you figure out how to remove the tank and rear fender.

It shouldn't be too difficult. I think your bike looks good now. What color/scheme are you going to paint it?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:07 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your tank is easy as pie to remove and yes, you have to remove all of them

ya got 2 bolts, one holding the front on and one holding on the back, you also have your fuel like and vacum line and one other (on the right side of the tank) that you need to unplug, turn the petcock to "off" and unscrew the fuel line, a little fuel will come out, not much, don't worry about it. the vacum like and the other one on the right side have nothing in them, you can just pull them off, take off the above mentioned bolts and bam yr tank is off, you can do this in less than a half an hour by yourself

if you want a really cheap way to paint yr tins you can always use rattle can, i did with good resutls, the paint is not the strongest though, here is what my scoot looked like a couple a months ago, i did this paint by myself in my garage with rattle can, i recently got a new paint job done by a pro....it was an offer i could not refuse, but here is the rattle can job i had...

Old 02-20-2009, 03:10 PM
emtjayb
Cruiser

nice paint job, very impressive

Old 02-20-2009, 03:31 PM
pirate49
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prep work sanding ,cleaning, more sanding, more cleaning means alot to the finish a good spray job can easily be ruined by poor prepping

Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

You can paint your own stuff.Don't rule out the good old paint can,there is all kinds of modern sprays and clear coats,maybe just a primer type paint,it's all the rage now,as others have said it's all about the prep work and making sure it's clean before you paint,there of course is lots of books and info on the net.Good luck.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:55 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cheapest..??????

Show and Tell at your local Elementary school....some finger paints,,,,
"have at it kids"

Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
emtjayb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by electarick
cheapest..??????

Show and tell at your local elementary school....some finger paints,,,,
"have at it kids"
lol!!!

Quick Reply: Cheapest route to paint my bike?