General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest route to paint my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Trip to Lowes, gallon of paint, 2 inch brush, if your in a hurry, get a 4 inch.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
emtjayb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

break out the paintball gun

Old 02-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Jhorra
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cdestuck

Trip to Lowes, gallon of paint, 2 inch brush, if your in a hurry, get a 4 inch.
Would it look bad if I brushed it?

I'm either going with a flat black or white. I'm also going to chop my fender closer to the size of a Nightster or Iron.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:14 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going flat black you can go with a rattle can pretty easy. I don't know about the white.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
emtjayb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jhorra
Would it look bad if I brushed it?

I'm either going with a flat black or white. I'm also going to chop my fender closer to the size of a Nightster or Iron.
it would look horrible lol. stick to the spray paint...rustoleum has a flat black that I've been using on mine. works good. after you get everything off, sand everything down, clean the parts, prime, sand, paint, nice even thin coats, too thick it will bubble and run. take your time and do it right it'll come out good. If you rush it you'll have to do it all over again. good luck

Old 02-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Jhorra
Cruiser

How much sanding does it need? Right now it's got the stock paint job on there. Do I need to take all the paint off, or just make sure it's a smooth surface?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:47 PM
SoALposer
Tourer

You might also want to check the local trade school, in my area you can get a pretty decant job very cheap, if not for free. They need the projects to work on.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
jd8181
Road Captain

don't take all the paint off or you're going to have the prime it and then sand it again. if you don't have any dents that need filled i would wet sand it down it with around 320. nothing less. makes sure it's not shiney anywhere or the paints not going to stick. after you wet sanded it and it's sat for awhile and dried wipe it down acouple of times with a good wax and grease remover (the stuff i use i get from the paint store and it's called 190). don't touch it with you fingers because of the grease on your hands. i seal my stuff before i paint it. and then paint around 3 coats depending on the color. and then clear it 3 or 4 coats. let it dry over night and then in a day or so wet sand down the clear starting out with around 700 or 800 grit and work my way to 1500 grit or so. then start buffing the heck out of it.
the most time consuming part is the prep work.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Sec Super Glide
Road Captain

First take the tins off second wash all parts with soap and water undersides also as no dust latter. If there is no broken paint your job is half done. Wet sand with 400 grit or finer take the shine off . whip down with a good wax and grease remover .Get a tack cloth from the hardware store. Flat black can be put on as per can if a shine is required put the first coat of clear on lite and let it tac up then apply coats to achieve shine.JMO. 23 year auto body tech.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Moonrider
Road Master

You guys forgot to tell him after he washes all the parts wipe every part down with denatured alcohol or wax and grease remover or else he will just sand any wax on the tins and end up with fish eyes. Also what about the sticker logo on the tank. Harley most times clearcoat over it, you have to sand the clear down till it's smooth, but not through it.

Quick Reply: Cheapest route to paint my bike?