General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Wing Riders???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
PAYogi
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Wing Riders???

I recently joined the forum to get some info. I have been lurking for quite a while. Please don't take any of my statements as a bash on HD. I try to educate myself as much as possible on purchases and I like ALL brands of motorcycles. I'm a firm believer that if it has 2 wheels, it's cool!!

I was raised on Honda's, I have had 18 bikes in my life, most of them Honda's, My favorite of all was my 2000 Valkyrie Tourer, I then got a streak of patriotism and went looking at HD and Victory. I loved the looks of the Road Glide. It's funny that most died in orange guys consider it the "ugly duckling" but after riding it, I was really disappointed. Underpowered and reliability issues. (this was 2004). I always said that if they would fix the issues and give it a kick in power, i'd look more seriously. Well the '09's have arrived and it appears the moco has finally figured it out.

So Now, I have been looking at buying a Road Glide again. In fact i have one on order that should be here the first week in March. But if it doesn't perform, I'm not locked in.

So here's my questions:
I currently am on a GL1800 wing, Great bike but boring. i also have a VFR 800 for the days I want to raise hell. That one I'm keeping.

What suggestions or comments can this educated group make to help me understand the differences. what am i going to like, what am I going to miss? i ride fairly aggressively and I run about 20,000 miles per year.

Thoughts??

Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 AM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Forum!

I think you'll get better/more replies on the Touring Forum. Especially since the Glide is a Tourer. If you look at the online counts...there is usually double the number of members online there vs. the General Chat.

There are some guys there who also have or did have a Wing so you'll get some good feedback from them. There are some that are anti "rice burner"and some, like you, who appreciate most anything on two wheels and those that ride them. Hope you're not too thin-skinned though! The running "joke" is that the glide is "fugly" (even the Glide guys joke about it). BUT, from what I read, those that have one, LOVE it. I'm sure you'll find MOST of the guys here pretty darn friendly and willing to throw in their .02 when asked.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Have you ridden an '09? The '04 and the '09 are very similar in the power department. If that was what turned you away in '04, you're not gonna like your new '09 (unless you give it a chance). Great bikes, just not gonna keep up with the Honda's.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not knowledgable about tourers, but I'd go for a Road King before the Roadglide and just stick a fairing on it if you want all of the farkles. Nothing against the Roadglides at all, just from the talk about them (husband also has one along with several friends) and what you describe above, you might be happier with one particularly after a few modifications.

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 02-20-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:41 AM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode a GL1800 for 5 years before I traded it for an 08 Ultra Classic. The Ultra isn't my only H-D. While the Ultra isn't a Road Glide some of the differences you'll notice coming off the Wing will be similar. First off you'll notice a big loss in wind protection. The wing has a big ol faring and windshield. You'll notice a big difference in the smoothness and power. The flat six in the wing is silky smooth while the v-twin is not, or at least not as much. On the wing you could be in 5th gear running at 20 mph and crank it up without much if any complaint from the motor. Try that with the v-twin and you'll find out what lugging a motor is. I do like the foot position much better on the H-D than I did on the wing. It is more comfortable to have my feet more in front of me and using hiway peg is much more comfortable.

Now with all that said, I wouldn't go back to a wing. I like the feel of the H-D better. It is easier to work on and service. It doesn't take 4 or 5 hours to strip the biked down when changing an air filter like it does on the wing. You can find just about any piece or part that you could ever imagine to put on your Glide, if you want to. And last but not least, the Glide looks like a bike should look, at least in my humble opinion.

When you test the 09 Road Glide, don't compare it to the Wing. They are not the same thing. Good luck and congrats on the new bike. It will grow on you much faster than you might think.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that HD tunes the bikes very lean at the factory to meet EPA guidelines and as such they feel underpowered. Most owners will add a high flow air cleaner, fuel mgmt system (power commander or similar) and different mufflers. This wakes the engine up pretty dramatically. Good luck and enjoy your new bike.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RDM
When you test the 09 Road Glide, don't compare it to the Wing. They are not the same thing. Good luck and congrats on the new bike. It will grow on you much faster than you might think.

Best advice anyone can give you right there. Be like comparing a Vet to a Town Car.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Cockroach
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roadglides are cool, because the fairings are mounted to the frame, which helps at high speed turns (like on the free way)

Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
sddyna
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from an 04' GL1800 to my 02 Dyna. The goldwing was the best for running down the road all day on cross country trips but around town felt like driving a house down the street. I really can't compare it to the glide but can tell you any Harley you decide on will have 100 times more character than the wing will ever have. And any bling parts you buy to add will be made of metal and not plastic. I have never looked back since getting my Harley and I would bet you wouldn't either. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 PM
BCGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PAYogi
I loved the looks of the Road Glide. It's funny that most died in orange guys consider it the "ugly duckling" but after riding it, I was really disappointed. Underpowered and reliability issues. (this was 2004). I always said that if they would fix the issues and give it a kick in power, i'd look more seriously. Well the '09's have arrived and it appears the moco has finally figured it out.
IMHO, if you did not care for the 04 Glide, you will not care much more for the 09 either - they just have not changed that much over the years.

You may want to look at the Victory tourer, perhaps even the new Kawasaki fix-fairing tourer...just a thought..

Quick Reply: Any Wing Riders???