General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Wing Riders???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I've been riding metrics for years.
Not sure what reliability issues you refer to in 2004, IMO the reputation for poor reliability was addressed 20 years ago.
Expect to do some upgrades if you expect performance comparable to a Gold Wing. If you have been pushing the limits of the Wing you probably may never get there.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an '82 Aspencade brand new and loved it. I've got a buddy that had a late 90's Wing and he loved his. We both ride '07 Ultra's now and we both love our bikes... but for different reasons than we loved our Honda's.
If I was gonna do nothing but long distance touring, I'd probably own a Wing. My friend feels the same way.
But on the other hand, I don't do much long distance touring. I do 400 miles or so a day, then take a long evening off. I do a lot of local stuff also, with trips under 250 miles for a weekend.
The fact of the matter is, when I'm on my Ultra, I feel different, and so does my wife. We feel like we're a part of something bigger than we are. People's heads turn and childrens eyes light up when we ride by. That almost never happened on the Wing.
The Wing is a space-age tourer. The Harley is a soul machine.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PAYogi
I recently joined the forum to get some info. I have been lurking for quite a while. Please don't take any of my statements as a bash on HD. I try to educate myself as much as possible on purchases and I like ALL brands of motorcycles. I'm a firm believer that if it has 2 wheels, it's cool!!

I was raised on Honda's, I have had 18 bikes in my life, most of them Honda's, My favorite of all was my 2000 Valkyrie Tourer, I then got a streak of patriotism and went looking at HD and Victory. I loved the looks of the Road Glide. It's funny that most died in orange guys consider it the "ugly duckling" but after riding it, I was really disappointed. Underpowered and reliability issues. (this was 2004). I always said that if they would fix the issues and give it a kick in power, i'd look more seriously. Well the '09's have arrived and it appears the moco has finally figured it out.

So Now, I have been looking at buying a Road Glide again. In fact i have one on order that should be here the first week in March. But if it doesn't perform, I'm not locked in.

So here's my questions:
I currently am on a GL1800 wing, Great bike but boring. i also have a VFR 800 for the days I want to raise hell. That one I'm keeping.

What suggestions or comments can this educated group make to help me understand the differences. what am i going to like, what am I going to miss? i ride fairly aggressively and I run about 20,000 miles per year.

Thoughts??
Keep what you got and get more for your needs....Nothing wrong with a Harem of bikes for the needs at hand....(No pun intended!)

Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 PM
hondaherb
Road Captain

I rode Goldwings for over 25 years and never thought I would ride anything else. My problem was that I didn't like the looks of the new wings. I bought a street glide in '06 and loved it, granted it would not run as fast as the wing, but face it, where can you run 90 to 100 mph and not worry about tickets. I just bought a new Road King and haven't ridden it enough to tell if it will ride with the Street glide, but I just love the looks of it. If you want the "Lazy Boy" feeling , stick with the Wing, but if you want something that gets attention and the feel of the road, buy the Harley.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:34 AM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EGlideKid
I bought an '82 Aspencade brand new and loved it. I've got a buddy that had a late 90's Wing and he loved his. We both ride '07 Ultra's now and we both love our bikes... but for different reasons than we loved our Honda's.
If I was gonna do nothing but long distance touring, I'd probably own a Wing. My friend feels the same way.
But on the other hand, I don't do much long distance touring. I do 400 miles or so a day, then take a long evening off. I do a lot of local stuff also, with trips under 250 miles for a weekend.
The fact of the matter is, when I'm on my Ultra, I feel different, and so does my wife. We feel like we're a part of something bigger than we are. People's heads turn and childrens eyes light up when we ride by. That almost never happened on the Wing.
The Wing is a space-age tourer. The Harley is a soul machine

I couldn't have said it better myself

My uncle went from a Wing to an Ultra and that was 15 years ago he hasn't looked back since.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:12 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BCGlide
IMHO, if you did not care for the 04 Glide, you will not care much more for the 09 either - they just have not changed that much over the years.

You may want to look at the Victory tourer, perhaps even the new Kawasaki fix-fairing tourer...just a thought..
Are you kidding? There's nothing the same between the '04 and the '09 Roadie! 88 cubes vs. 96, 5 speed vs. 6, The tires are bigger, the frame is completely new with four motor mounts instead of three. 6 gallons of fuel, the radio is better, etc. etc.
If you are comparing the Wing and Road Glide I think you will be pleasantly supprised by the '09. The Wing still has more power but the RG has plenty, and more on tap if you want to modify (that's half the fun), The RG is more versitle, tour pac on/off, lowers the same, set it up solo or as a full two up road sofa.
As far as reliability, they are as reliable as any other motorcycle, I've got 45K on my '05 and am planning on many more trouble free miles, if I can resist the lure on the '09s.
You need to ride an '09, I think you will like it.

Last edited by dc1450; 02-21-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I traded my Aspencade for a Sportster

Old 02-21-2009, 08:10 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would've kept the Wing and bought a Vrod, Sporty, etc if I wanted a more soulful and fun bike to ride.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 AM
BCGlide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dc1450
Are you kidding? There's nothing the same between the '04 and the '09 Roadie! 88 cubes vs. 96, 5 speed vs. 6, The tires are bigger, the frame is completely new with four motor mounts instead of three. 6 gallons of fuel, the radio is better, etc. etc.

Nope, not kidding. Like I said originally - IMHO. Test rode an 09 to see if the changes were worth trading my 07 - it wasn't. Moreover, I don't think the 88 v 96 inch is that much different especially with the original poster stepping of a Gold Wing!

Again, my opinion..

Last edited by BCGlide; 02-21-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Orange
Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

PAYogi Depending on where you are you could rent a hd to besure its up your expectations. Now say'n that i too have had several wings over the years and just find them different bikes for different types of rideing, both good. The hd is going to be a more lazy ride , better low speed handleing and just layed back. You will find that you may cut down the winshield to see over or change it,add the mufflers air and fuel kits. Kinda like adding all the wing ding stuff to a allready loaded ride. Good bikes just different. Enjoy

Quick Reply: Any Wing Riders???