General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Bike Week:Does Anyone Go To The Races???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daytona Bike Week:Does Anyone Go To The Races???

Been Going Since '72.Went about 7 years when I met someone that said they had never been to a race.Huh???. I couldn't believe it.At that time I thought that's all there was.Not going to the races is like going to the Daytona 500 or the Indy 500 and not going to the races.A couple of my employees I talked to didn't even know there was races.What???

Old 02-20-2009, 04:28 AM
Heather Morze
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went back in 94 they are great

Old 02-20-2009, 04:31 AM
houndawgg
Tourer

The 200 and all the vendors displaying their goods are the reason I prefer Daytona, over other events.
If you just want to party, there are plenty of other rallies.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:39 AM
hardluk1
Road Master

I go to the track but went to the races 1 time . Just don't care about race bikes that i would never ride going way to fast. Last few trips down is more about a good reason just to ride through hit some venders, see whats new, catch a bike show and see and ride some of the state after that. Party'n stopped years ago. More fun to watch other get stupid ,did that enough when young.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've made it to the races a couple of times. I really enjoy the Supercross race there, always a great track. Last year was great with all the rain.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

See ya at Sturgis.
FLAT TRACKERS and hill climbs.
H*ll, any body can ride on asphalt, we ALL do it.

Not at all like it was at one time. IT was the race tracks and races that sold bikes. Getting that #1 plate was all that mattered to the co. And they would spend whatever it took to do it. Now it's more of a side show, to most.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

At one time, not that long ago the 200 was one of the premier road races in the world. The factories brought out all the big GP stars and even made special bikes just to use at Daytona. Not any more. The 200 isn't even run with the big bikes anymore and it si just another AMA weekend. I still go, but it's not the highlight of the week.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
See ya at Sturgis.
FLAT TRACKERS and hill climbs.
H*ll, any body can ride on asphalt, we ALL do it.

Not at all like it was at one time. IT was the race tracks and races that sold bikes. Getting that #1 plate was all that mattered to the co. And they would spend whatever it took to do it. Now it's more of a side show, to most.
I hear you about the hillclimbs. I grew up not far from Oregonia, Oh where they have a great hillclimb event every year. It's a blast to watch.

Of course if you've never seen bikes racing on Daytona, whether you like that type of racing or not, it's still worth seeing at least once. When they come through 3 and 4 on the high banks and down the front stretch almost touching wheels and wobbling from the buffetting it's pretty cool.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay. I'm making my first trek to Daytona this year and will only be there a day, two at the max (my son moved south of there in August) and I'll be riding up there with him to see the sites.

What day is the race and how much coin must I drop to get in?

Thanks,

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
At one time, not that long ago the 200 was one of the premier road races in the world. The factories brought out all the big GP stars and even made special bikes just to use at Daytona. Not any more. The 200 isn't even run with the big bikes anymore and it si just another AMA weekend. I still go, but it's not the highlight of the week.
Actually starting this year it's not just another AMA weekend. AMA sold their racing series to the Daytona Motorsports Group, another arm of Nascar, last year. So while the racing is being done under the name AMA Pro Racing, AMA is out of the picture when it comes to the racing.

Also the Daytona 200 is a night race this year.

Quick Reply: Daytona Bike Week:Does Anyone Go To The Races???