General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon vs. Performance Machine Grips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:06 PM
kevdog
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Avon vs. Performance Machine Grips?

I've read many postings where people say that Performance Machine renthal grips are the best they've ever had. On ebay there are Avon grips that are advertised to be PM clones, has anyone seen them up close and can say if there's any difference? The Avons are about half the price.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my Avon Air Cushioned for Fly By Wire grips a few days ago, look great to me. At least they don't have Proformance Machine etched into the end caps chrome or finish... but they do have a small Avon name in one spot on the grip rubber

Last edited by vertigo14; 02-20-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:03 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought some old shool coke bottle style grips from them, red metal flake, never ended up putting them on, they didn't flow with my scoot. they were cool lookin though and they are deffinetly a good company. they seem like some good grips but like i said, i never actually put them on my scoot

Old 02-20-2009, 04:30 PM
scooter_trash_1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where did you get em from??

Love the look and am interested, I had the renthal grips on my last ride and loved them however these look better...How have they worked out for you and where did you get em? Price?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://avongrips.com/
Is where I got em from, was going to order them from the Drag book, but the manufacture on them didn't add up for me.... http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/12/202/7729257 So I went to the source. (heh)

Well I am collecting parts for my bar change, got the grips and heat demons so far, still need my throttle cable and bars. Then maybe mirrors.. heh and if I didn't wanna f' around maybe a new TBW contorler with no green cap and then the CB controller for the left side.. and then chrome caps.. hehe prob be a bit for all that..before I put them on.

So can't tell you how they are working out, but in hand they feel comfy and look great.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:17 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the chrome Avon contours on my V-Rod and love them. I'm waiting for the black ones for the TBW to come out and will be putting those on the SG.

They are half the price of the PM and work as well or not better. They have more cushioning then the PM's.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Aaron01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally purchases the Avon grips for my 07 Night Train but then they are about 3/8" shorter than the stock grip. The thing that first clued me in was in the instructions it said to move the controll housing to the grip and not stretch the grip to try to reach the housing. With the grip being a bit shorter would have meant moving everything over a bit and there would have been a gap from where my bars go from 1 1/4" to 1". I ended up returning the grips and getting the real Performance Machine grips.

Here are the differences: The Avon's are about 3/8" shorter, the PM's are the correct length.
The Avon's are a rubber grip with just metal end caps. The Pm's are solid billet with just a rubber insert in the middle.
The PM's have a nicer finish to the metal and are better built, but you do pay more.

If I would have just had stock 1" bars I would have probably just moved everything over a bit to match the shorter grip and let it go. Since distance was a factor I ended up the the real Performance Machine grips and although I paid a little more I am very pleased with the build, fit, and finish.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can change out the rubber insert in the PM grips for about $12.00. Tons of colors to choose from. Also, I believe the PMs are a smaller diameter than the Avons...the Avons are bulkier. It's all about comfort and personal preference, but I prefer the smaller diameter...feels like a bicycle grip! The PMs are really nice and you do get what you pay for. The set screws on the left grip are a nice alternative to grip glue, too!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 PM
hawkyou
Tourer

Originally Posted by kevdog
I've read many postings where people say that Performance Machine renthal grips are the best they've ever had. On ebay there are Avon grips that are advertised to be PM clones, has anyone seen them up close and can say if there's any difference? The Avons are about half the price.
Perf. Mach is all billet alum.

Avon is plastic junk.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
barkster99
Tourer

Need to chime in here.

Avon's are far from plastic junk. They're billet aluminum and their own proprietary rubber compound. Excellent customer service too. I had a split in the rubber of one last year (my fault). Sent an email direct to Avon (even though I didn't buy from them) and they sent me out a replacement pronto, no charge.

Just ordered the new Avon air cushioned grips. $60 on the Avon website. Got them for $43 + 9$ shipping from Zanotti's (via Drag Specialties).

So, again, very happy with Avon all around. Had the Kury ISOs and much prefer Avon. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Avon vs. Performance Machine Grips?