General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon vs. Performance Machine Grips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts
Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 AM
bldap
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rider1200.

The Contour XL grips look sharp! Anyone have experience with them versus the Contour Renthal wrapped grip? Do you loose gripping power with the billet rings between the rubber? Says diameter is larger on the XL's. For those that have the XL's how does the larger diameter feel? I understand hand size comes into play regarding this opinion. My hands are on the larger size so thinking the larger diameter would be a good fit. But then I come back to the gripping power of the XLs. Decisions, decisions!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 AM
$oul Child
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I just posted a thread about the Conour XL grips. I put a set on my SG back in April and they already have chrome coming off of them. I sent PM an email and they want me to send them back to them for inspection. I feel I would be wasting my time taking them off and them have them tell me "OH thats normal wear". Havent decided what my course of action is gonna be yet.

If not for the chrome coming off I was very happy with the size and look.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM
bldap
Tourer

Originally Posted by $oul Child
I just posted a thread about the Conour XL grips. I put a set on my SG back in April and they already have chrome coming off of them. I sent PM an email and they want me to send them back to them for inspection. I feel I would be wasting my time taking them off and them have them tell me "OH thats normal wear". Havent decided what my course of action is gonna be yet.

If not for the chrome coming off I was very happy with the size and look.
That's definitely not a good thing to hear or go through. Now wondering if I should just go with the Contour Renthal wrapped grip.

Has anyone posted on your thread that they were experiencing the same chrome defect?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

My experience with the Avons Custom Contour grips (on stock bars) and company has been great. I don't believe you can go wrong with either PM or Avon, just depends on how much money you want to spend and what brand name you want on your bike.

1. As for the price, I don't believe you are going to find the PM TBW grips on ebay for $70-80. Lowest price I've seen is around $115. Avons can be found for more than half less.

2. Avon collars and end caps are not plastic but Billet Aluminum.

3. The Avon rubber seems the same as Renthal but perhaps because of licensing can't be called Renthal.

4. If you are wanting a fatter grip I believe the PM's are fatter because they use a sleeve that slides over the bars, whereas Avons collars, then rubber, then end caps slide over the bars with no sleeve.

5. My experience was that the Avon were not too short.

6. It took longer to open the packageing for the Avon grips than it did to install them. It was that easy. No experience with the PM. Avon also had great customer service.

JMO

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 10-28-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Madav8tr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow

5. My experience was that the Avon were not too short.

Same here. Excellent fit for my application. Of course I am not running 1-1/4 or 1 1/2 fat bars. Sounds like your mind is made up though, so hopefully the PMs will work out for you.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
bldap
Tourer

Not totally made up. Am curious why some are having problems with the Avons while others aren't. Is it a scoot model problem or a bar thickness problem..or what?

I have the stock 1" bars and would be open to looking at the Avons if I knew there wasn't going to be a fit problem.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 PM
$oul Child
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bldap
That's definitely not a good thing to hear or go through. Now wondering if I should just go with the Contour Renthal wrapped grip.

Has anyone posted on your thread that they were experiencing the same chrome defect?
No replies other than one member said I should send them back that he had good luck with them on warranty issues.