General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon vs. Performance Machine Grips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Sail and Ride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grips on the Sporty were too small for my hands, was getting cramps. Wrapped the grips with a length of parachute cord I already had. That added about 4mm to the grip diameter, then I applied a fabric ink that my wife had, to make it black- feels good, no more cramps, good grip, no out-of-pocket cash at all.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:39 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Performance Machine real quality in my opinion.

Fit perfect on my Street Glide and fixing to get them for my Road King.

Got the lead for Primo and did not look back.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the PMs...I've gone through a bunch of grips on a few bikes already and the PMs are the best. Renthal is legit.

Almost everyone I ride with have PM

Old 04-23-2009, 05:10 AM
StreetGeezer
Tourer

Are the PM grips made in the USA?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The PM's can be bought all day long on flea-bay for $75.00-$80.00 with free shipping. Why skimp $35.00 and not give yer' beloved scoot the best money can buy?

10-20 grand worth of bike that extra $35.00-$40.00 was a non issue when I went grip shopping!

Get the PM's. No need to second guess yourself over that small amount of coin!

I run renthals on my off roader as well. They just feel....Right?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM
papadop88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by StreetGeezer
Are the PM grips made in the USA?
The company, Performance Machine, is 30 mins from where I live in La Palma, CA. B*tchin facility! Its a family business along with RSD all in the same location. All their products are expensive, but top notch.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 AM
bldap
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does someone have a website for the Performance Machine grips?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Madav8tr
Road Captain
Default Avon

Check out the air cushioned Avons before you spend the extra money on the PM stuff. I looked around for some grips for my Softail for a while before deciding on the Avons over anything from Kury or PM(Among others as well). I really like the air cushioned grips. Very comfortable, looks great, and fit well. People telling you to pay more money for the PM's most likely have never even seen the Air cushions from Avon. I have compared them up close and prefer the Avons. I don't feel like I am doing my bike some type of disservice by spending less money either . I have 3 Harley's and they will all soon have a set of air cushion grips on them.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

+1 on the guy that said the Avon grips are shorter. I bought some for my Fat Bob, but they wouldn't work. I can't see myself moving my controls away from the step down on the 1 1/4" bars and leaving a gap.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 AM
bldap
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Madav8tr
Check out the air cushioned Avons before you spend the extra money on the PM stuff. I looked around for some grips for my Softail for a while before deciding on the Avons over anything from Kury or PM(Among others as well). I really like the air cushioned grips. Very comfortable, looks great, and fit well. People telling you to pay more money for the PM's most likely have never even seen the Air cushions from Avon. I have compared them up close and prefer the Avons. I don't feel like I am doing my bike some type of disservice by spending less money either . I have 3 Harley's and they will all soon have a set of air cushion grips on them.
Going with PM's since I've seen too many posts saying the Avon's don't fit correctly. Don't want the hassle of getting something that may not work.

Performance Machine website(s) anyone?

Quick Reply: Avon vs. Performance Machine Grips?