General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of the Element Bluetooth Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 PM
MidwestRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of the Element Bluetooth Helmet

OK Ladies and Gents...I went to the bike show a couple of weeks ago and picked up this new bluetooth helmet made by Element. Yes I am a tech geek! Sugg. retail is $299. I pulled out my Iphone and searched the phone and found it for $269. I advised the sales person and he said he would match the price. I then looked around the show and found myself back to this helmet. I first checked it out with my Iphone and it sounded pretty good. It was able to register with no problem at all to the phone and it sounded awesome. Helmet fit pretty nice and snug. I like the chinstrap because it has an additional snap which holds the strap in place instead of flipping and flopping around during the ride. The helmet fogged up pretty bad while the visor was down. BTW the sales person did not know much at all about this helmet and needs to find a new job. I had to search this helmet on my iphone and watch a youtube video on the thing. The helmet automatically answers after three rings unless you press the button on the side to ignore the call. You can also press the button on the side to automatically call the last call dialed. It also works as an intercom if a passenger our another rider next to you has the same helmet. You can also listen to your ipod through the helmet. Requires no wires at all! I have not listened to my ipod through the helmet yet because I have not attempted to try that feature yet. The sales person said that it requires a bluetooth device hooked up to your ipod but I am trying to find a way to just connect my iphone ipod to the helmet. During my ride I talked a few times and I could hear pretty good up until 50 MPH or so. It was kind of hard to hear because I flipped up my visor because it got kind of foggy. My wife said that she was able to hear me with no problem at all. I will have more of a review when the weather gets better and I can ride more. Overall I think the helmet is a pretty buy seeing that a helmet without those types of features cost about the same and even more. Oh, this thing came in the box completely assembled. All I had to do was charge it for 4 hours before riding.

I am sure I left something out so if you have a question feel free to ask or check out the youtube video for further
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_rP3K29FGE

Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, that does it. When I have to start charging my helmet so I can mimic soccer mom I have to ask why you need the bike, just stay on the phone all day.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 PM
MidwestRider
Road Master

That is not why I got the helmet. I picked it up so that I could use it as an intercom while going on bike trips and so that I can listen to my tunes while riding on trips. So use the helmet as you wish!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn, just when you thought you had seen the Ultimate in RUB WEAR, then you see this.........you sure you wouldn't really rather have a Goldwing?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:15 PM
MidwestRider
Road Master

The review listed all the features of the helmet which do include talking if you need to. Some of us do work and need to have our phones glued to our hips. My job requires it!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
MidwestRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big Pig
Damn, just when you thought you had seen the Ultimate in RUB WEAR, then you see this.........you sure you wouldn't really rather have a Goldwing?
I enjoy being a RUB I take it as a compliment thanx. I can't wait until it gets warm out so I can take a nice long ride to Caribou Coffee

Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great review. I've been waiting for a good bluetooth helmet to come out.

I don't have an iPhone but I do have a few iPods, most recent is the iPod Touch. But it like the other iPods does not have bluetooth. I wonder if someone makes a bluetooth adapter for the iPod Touch?

I have also heard that someone makes a tiny amplifier for this exact reason. Supposedly it plugs into the iPod with a small wire and boosts the sound output for helmets.

What would be ideal would be a bluetooth adapter for the iPod with a built-in amp. I seldom ride without my ipod and those wires are a pain and so are the ear buds.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 AM
MidwestRider
Road Master

I know they have a bluetooth adaptor available for the ipod because he (sales person) showed me the adaptor and plugged it into his ipod. I am sure this would also work with the ipod touch. Every adaptor and speakers that I have for my ipod nano works exactly the same with my iphone so I am sure they would work with the ipod touch as well. The ipod touch is pretty sick. I like it a lot and would have gotten one if I did not have the phone. And your welcome.

Let me know how things turn out.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Talking on the bikes is not my idea of fun or safe, but to each his own. If it's required for work, then it's required for work. I listen my IPOD on long trips, but that's it for me. In town and on regular rides I find it is much easier to pay attention without the added hassle. Obviously my job does not hinge on answering every call all day every day, unless I am in the office...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

How long does the charge last? Is the music in stereo? So far, I have not seen a BT communication system that plays music in stereo. I run an Autocom that is hardwired to the bikes power. No need to recharge, which is a plus on long trips and the music quality is top notch. I do BT my phone to my Autocom though.

Quick Reply: Review of the Element Bluetooth Helmet