General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of the Element Bluetooth Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
That's 4 Hours Talk Time, not standby time. Do you really need to talk for more than 4 hours on a ride?
You are not using "talk time" power levels (transmitter on) when listening to music.
You've obviously never ridden with my wife!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Thornhammer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRider
Does this helmet's Bluetooth support the A2DP Bluetooth profile? If not you will not get stereo sound from your MP3 or iPod.
Heck, the iPhone doesn't support the A2DP Bluetooth profile. To get stereo Bluetooth from an iPhone you have to plug in a special adapter (which of course helps drain the battery faster).

Stereo Bluetooth DOES work quite nicely from the iPhone once you get that adapter plugged in. If you don't have the BT adapter, you can only get mono sound from the iPhone in Bluetooth mode (and even then, you have to trick the thing before it will play music through Bluetooth - Apple deliberately broke the Bluetooth stack because of battery drain issues). I bought a little pair of Bluetooth headphones and went through this whole rigamarole before I bought the adapter, after that it was very smooth.

As for the helmet, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it had stereo capabilities. Most Bluetooth headsets just come with the one earpiece.

I like the sound of the helmet. Intercom = good.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad, bad, bad idea. I to am a tech geek at heart, and follow the philosophy of "he who dies with the most toys wins", but I see nothing good from being able to talk on the phone while riding. I also have to keep a phone glued to my hip for work, and if it rings while I am riding, I find a place to pull over and call the person back.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:54 PM
MidwestRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Thornhammer
Heck, the iPhone doesn't support the A2DP Bluetooth profile. To get stereo Bluetooth from an iPhone you have to plug in a special adapter (which of course helps drain the battery faster).

Stereo Bluetooth DOES work quite nicely from the iPhone once you get that adapter plugged in. If you don't have the BT adapter, you can only get mono sound from the iPhone in Bluetooth mode (and even then, you have to trick the thing before it will play music through Bluetooth - Apple deliberately broke the Bluetooth stack because of battery drain issues). I bought a little pair of Bluetooth headphones and went through this whole rigamarole before I bought the adapter, after that it was very smooth.

As for the helmet, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it had stereo capabilities. Most Bluetooth headsets just come with the one earpiece.

Where did you get your adapter from? What brand?

Thanx

Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When I'm riding I don't want to hear a phone and I'd never wear a full face cage. Safe perhaps, but kinda takes away from the true feeling of riding in the wind.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 AM
HarleyCamper
Road Master

Anyone know if this thing can be plugged into a cigarette lighter? I usually keep my iphone plugged in when I'm taking a long ride. I would do the same with this helmet if that's an option. If so, I just may spring for one.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestRider
The review listed all the features of the helmet which do include talking if you need to. Some of us do work and need to have our phones glued to our hips. My job requires it!

+1 there. I spend a lot of time on call and ended up purchasing a Vemar Bluetooth for the same reason.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thornhammer

For reference, the Vemar Bluetooth helmet has the A2DP capability...

Last edited by iceman336; 07-27-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
You've obviously never ridden with my wife!

Now that's funny. I thought these would be good for the wife & I. Then I used my head

Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 PM
chad_clearwater
Cruiser

I've looked at the Element and will be seriously considering it for our next helmets.
1. 4 hour talk is pretty normal for cell phones, GPS run time, etc.
2. Being able to talk to the wife is better than tapping the knee and pointing.
3. I don't yak on the phone, but with teeanagers, a working wife, etc. sometimes they do need to get in touch while I'm out.
4. Music, GPS, etc. are Bluetooth capable so might as well take advantage of the connetivity.
5. I wear a full-face helmet anyway.

YMMV!

Quick Reply: Review of the Element Bluetooth Helmet