Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been asked to prospect,what do I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reverend66
Been going to this bar for years,known em' for a while, just never in this light. I'm gonna let this go,wrong place to ask a simple question I guess. Sounds like I'm on a HOG forum.
You are in a HOG forum (we do own Harleys) but this is irrelevant to the question. Seems to me you got opinion from both sides. Simple questions can often lead to complex answers. Here, try this, why is the sky blue? Very simple question often asked by children under the age of 5. However, the answer can fill an 8 1/2" by 11" sheet of paper single spaced.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 PM
dawidmer
Advanced

You posed a very interesting question, one which has not really been answered. "What should I expect?" I suggest that you take the prospect offer and report your prospect activities to this forum weekly so that the next time someone asks, they can be directed to your "prospect" thread!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A guy that calls himself the REVEREND, aka.(MINISTER), aka. (PREACHER) aka.(PASTOR) joining a 1% bike club? WAZ-UP WITH THAT? I think your dreaming!

Last edited by hpfatboy; 02-18-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:27 AM
The Reg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.....It sure isn't a 1% forum as far as my experience goes!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

what to expect as a prospect? long days in the water with a pan looking for nothing. same thing you will get out of one of these 1% clubs, nuttin.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:19 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Been asked to prospect,what do I expect?
There's gold in them thar hills!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:15 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,425 Likes on 22,401 Posts

Are you sayin' that you're a hang around now?
If you prospect and make it you'll get a Big Bullseye on your back to make it easier for the man to single you out.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

huh?
If you really want to get into a club that will treat you with respect and allow you to make something of yourself try the Marine Corp.

While I never wanted to do more then ride as an independent I did work in an environment where I occasionally dealt with some club members ( back in the late 70s ). The only thing I can say is the prospects back then were the grunts of the club and were expected to do the mundane things that needed to be done ( give a ride, drop this off, pick this up, clean this up, etc. ). But that is as close as I ever got or really wanted to get.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Been going to this bar for years,known em' for a while,just never in this light.I'm gonna let this go,wrong place to ask a simple question I guess.Sounds like I'm on a HOG forum.
For lack of a better word, you are.
You answered the ? most seem to be bantering 'bout. You've been "hangin' " in their territory, they HAVE BEEN watching you, thus they have a decent 'working knowledge' of you. THAT's why he said what he did. SOMEONE or several, in the 'club' know you and know about you, IF you have been in their bar. (They originally did not know whether you were 'friend' or 'foe') Unless this was your 'first' stop there, WHICH it wasn't or he would have 'dissed' you vs 'talking' to you. They 'rarely' if ever approach a 'stranger'. Jus' sayin'.

IF you do think it is something you are interested in, then 'hang around',. cause that'll be your status for a while. That's when they decide it they want you, and you want them. BUT rest assured, even after 'hang around' time, and thru prospecting, "YOU DO NOT HAVE AN OPINION".

You WILL follow your sponsor like a puppy dog (), follow his directions, and cover his back side whilst he carries out his routine. But 'most likely' will be out of ear shot when they are talking 'club biz'. (Remember, you do not have an opinion)

The clubs I ride with, (NOT a patch), it is 'hang around' until you and they commit. Then 1 yr Prospecting. "HEY Prospect, get me __________."
Depending on who or WHAT your sponsor is, they can run you ragged. Carry extra pens, a sewing kit (you'll be sewing on patches or at least you'll have the equipment.) Note pad for your sponsor. ANYTHING you can think of and get in a vest/jacket pocket.

Once you've 'passed' the Prospect phase, and you get your patches, then 1 yr of Probate.
For the Red and Whites anyway, you will be expected to be at EVERY function, be it a party for another club, etc. Some call 'em "Mandatory Runs". Each one 'fine tunes' their own requirements.
Plan on devoting ALL your available time for at least 2 yrs. (Prospect and Probate)
Some clubs, after they have known you, know your past, etc, etc, have been known to 'wave' the full year steps, BUT not many.
It is a BIG time committment, as in, almost ALL your time.
Another thing to think 'bout, we are a Red and White state. Wisconsin is off limits, unless you are TOOPID. (Sconi is Black and White) BUT you'll know ALL that, prob'ly BEFORE you even put the bottom rocker on. You may know all that already if you've been hangin' in their bar, IF you've had your ears open AND your mouth shut. (Get used to that for a while)

Your call, at this stage of the game. After that, it is most likely, THEIR call. It is for those who want it and like it.
I've been asked by multiple clubs over the years. Just never felt the need to have a 'patch'. BUT more importantly, I cross club and 'state' lines, openly and freely. I do support the ones I ride with, and even pay dues to one of them tho not even a prospect.
There are a 'few' patches lurking here, but they do a good job of doing what they are s'posed to do, keep a low profile, but they're here.
ALL the clubs I have been around, RIDE HARD and FAST. NOT always my cup o' tea, peshally on an old panhead, much less one that needs a gas n go, every 70-80 miles, or less.

Maybe, if I are still kicking The Cap'n over in 3 yrs, I'll prospect for the Bond Slaves. THEN I will be the 'oldest' Prospect they have had. Gramps (road name) was 59 when he prospected. In 3(from May), I'll be 60. As of now, I am 'reluctantly' referred to, as the "Eternal Hang 'Round" And I ALWAYS ride 'tail gunner' (ONE rear drum brake, need I say mo'?)
Sorry, Folks, BUT there is nothing more impressive to this Ol' Fart, than riding at the back of the 'pack', and watching it move as one well oiled machine thru traffic and down the hiway. Wheel to wheel, fender to fender. May be 'nerve' racking at times, but STILL impressive. Peshally when there are more than 50-60 scoots in the pack.

http://www.bondslavesmc.net/Home.html
http://www.bondslavesmc.net/Chapters.html
http://www.bsmcstcloud.com/In_Memory.html (Vol up a bit GREAT song)

Mn "Crew".

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 02-18-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:03 AM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
For lack of a better word, you are.
You answered the ? most seem to be bantering 'bout. You've been "hangin' " in their territory, they HAVE BEEN watching you, thus they have a decent 'working knowledge' of you. THAT's why he said what he did. SOMEONE or several, in the 'club' know you and know about you, IF you have been in their bar. (They originally did not know whether you were 'friend' or 'foe') Unless this was your 'first' stop there, WHICH it wasn't or he would have 'dissed' you vs 'talking' to you. They 'rarely' if ever approach a 'stranger'. Jus' sayin'.

IF you do think it is something you are interested in, then 'hang around',. cause that'll be your status for a while. That's when they decide it they want you, and you want them. BUT rest assured, even after 'hang around' time, and thru prospecting, "YOU DO NOT HAVE AN OPINION".

You WILL follow your sponsor like a puppy dog (), follow his directions, and cover his back side whilst he carries out his routine. But 'most likely' will be out of ear shot when they are talking 'club biz'. (Remember, you do not have an opinion)

The clubs I ride with, (NOT a patch), it is 'hang around' until you and they commit. Then 1 yr Prospecting. "HEY Prospect, get me __________."
Depending on who or WHAT your sponsor is, they can run you ragged. Carry extra pens, a sewing kit (you'll be sewing on patches or at least you'll have the equipment.) Note pad for your sponsor. ANYTHING you can think of and get in a vest/jacket pocket.

Once you've 'passed' the Prospect phase, and you get your patches, then 1 yr of Probate.
For the Red and Whites anyway, you will be expected to be at EVERY function, be it a party for another club, etc. Some call 'em "Mandatory Runs". Each one 'fine tunes' their own requirements.
Plan on devoting ALL your available time for at least 2 yrs. (Prospect and Probate)
Some clubs, after they have known you, know your past, etc, etc, have been known to 'wave' the full year steps, BUT not many.
It is a BIG time committment, as in, almost ALL your time.
Another thing to think 'bout, we are a Red and White state. Wisconsin is off limits, unless you are TOOPID. (Sconi is Black and White) BUT you'll know ALL that, prob'ly BEFORE you even put the bottom rocker on. You may know all that already if you've been hangin' in their bar, IF you've had your ears open AND your mouth shut. (Get used to that for a while)

Your call, at this stage of the game. After that, it is most likely, THEIR call. It is for those who want it and like it.
I've been asked by multiple clubs over the years. Just never felt the need to have a 'patch'. BUT more importantly, I cross club and 'state' lines, openly and freely. I do support the ones I ride with, and even pay dues to one of them tho not even a prospect.
There are a 'few' patches lurking here, but they do a good job of doing what they are s'posed to do, keep a low profile, but they're here.
ALL the clubs I have been around, RIDE HARD and FAST. NOT always my cup o' tea, peshally on an old panhead, much less one that needs a gas n go, every 70-80 miles, or less.

Maybe, if I are still kicking The Cap'n over in 3 yrs, I'll prospect for the Bond Slaves. THEN I will be the 'oldest' Prospect they have had. Gramps (road name) was 59 when he prospected. In 3(from May), I'll be 60. As of now, I am 'reluctantly' referred to, as the "Eternal Hang 'Round" And I ALWAYS ride 'tail gunner' (ONE rear drum brake, need I say mo'?)

http://www.bondslavesmc.net/Home.html
http://www.bondslavesmc.net/Chapters.html

Mn "Crew".

Reverend66..What the Gump said above is all you need to know. Listen to the man, he speaks from experience. Make your decision from there. End of thread.

Quick Reply: Been asked to prospect,what do I expect?