General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new jacket

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM
princeaz
Cruiser
Location: Payson, AZ within 400 miles of the best the west has to offer for riders
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the First Gear Meshtex jackets. They are very robust material, and do not easily shred. I know from experience. They have armor and come with a waterproof liner that is VERY warm in the summer, as it does not breathe well. I prefer an over-the-jacket rain cover. They are available in black so you don't look like a dork, and are available in men's and women's sizes. The Joe Rocket is ok, but there are some snaps inside the sleeves that can lacerate your arms if you slide at all, I also know this from experience. Check out www.motorcyclesuperstore.com for fair prices.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

i have used motorcycle superstore as mentioned above. no problems.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A New York Rangers Hockey Jersey, NFL shoulderpads,, Lacross elbow pads,
and a boxers cup!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 PM
justkiding
Advanced

I suggest the Olympia Motorsports Air Glide jacket. Less bulky than the tourmaster I had before and you can get it in hi-vis yellow. My new favorite color.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

HD also offers 'switch back' style jackets, so may some other vendors. I bought one, it's a leather jacket, but you can zip off the front and rear panels below the shoulders to reveal the mesh jacket underneath.

On mine, the shoulders and the outside of the arms stay leather, and there is CE padded armor in the shoulders and elbows, but only a little padding at base of back. But I liked the leather on the shoulders and elbows, w/ added padding, even when running it as a mesh coat.

I think getting a aerated leather jacket, or a mesh jacket, and then adding a liner for cooler / wet weather may be more simple, as the switchback style requires a little getting used to for zipping and unzipping the panels at somewhat odd angles, but I liked the idea of buying 1 jacket and running leather most of the time, and just zipping down to mesh when I couldn't take the heat, and I liked the look of the jacket. Plus, I have a hard time fitting clothes properly, so I wanted to try it on in the store, which enabled me to know if I really liked the jacket.

Oh, I almost forgot, the other thing I liked about the jacket, is although it's a flat black, it has some black letters and piping on it, that are also reflective to light at night, despite being black. So, another thing to consider is whether you want any reflective qualities, which I did. I wanted a toned down black jacket for day riding and walking around at my destination, but wanted it to light up a bit when hit by headlights.

Good luck.

Last edited by karz10; 02-18-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM
nighter
1st Gear

thanks guys good suggestions

Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karz10
I wanted a toned down black jacket for day riding and walking around at my destination, but wanted it to light up a bit when hit by headlights.
I always wonder about the usefullness of reflective stuff on rider clothing. If the drivers don't pay attention to the lights on a bike, why would they pay attention to the stripe on a jacket?

Not questioning your choice, just wondering...

Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been wearing a Power Trip Voodoo jacket, which is a combination mesh and leather, for 2-1/2 years in SW Florida. It was recommended from members of this forum, for hot weather wearing. It is a great hot weather jacket,don't let the name put you off.
I also have a Cortech, Coastal Air that is fully perforated leather and comes with a liner. I only wear it when it's cold enough that I need a liner.
Both jackets come with armor. I prefer the cheaper Power Trip Voodoo jacket. It is like wearing a light sweater as far as weight. Both of them do well in the heat.
Here is a site that I just found that sells the Voodoo. I didn't buy it from there.
http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/e...x.cgi?pid=3183
Tom

Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splatter
I always wonder about the usefullness of reflective stuff on rider clothing. If the drivers don't pay attention to the lights on a bike, why would they pay attention to the stripe on a jacket?

Not questioning your choice, just wondering...
Well, I understand what you're saying. My thinking is, from certain angles, it might make me a little more noticeable. Coming right up behind me, or coming at me from the side, where headlights would be most likely to light up the reflective material.

I would think that in some cases, a relatively attentive driver might catch the reflective material before they even 'see' me or the bike, reflective materials have a tendency to do that, so they might get an advanced warning of my presence at night from some angles.

For other drivers, someone else's lights might light me up from the rear or the side, say on a highway where cars are traveling in different lanes, so it might make them more aware of my presence before they themselves are right up on me.

I guess I just figured it's still something a little different that might catch some drives eyes, but sure, there's just no hope for some drunks or inattentive drivers. (plus, God forbid, if someone did hit me from an angle where it would have made a difference, or should have, that's just one more thing on my side, that I had reflective gear on, they can't say they didn't see me if their lights were on)

Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM
terrapin87
5th Gear

+1 on the Olympia Air Glide 3. Recently purchased (Pewter and Black) one after lots o' research on this forum. Just tested it for the first time today. Removed the 2 in 1 liner so it was just the straight mesh jacket and its very comfortable and breathable.

Quick Reply: new jacket