General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 Solo trip in May, from Nashville to California in May! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Almost forgot, be sure to fill up in Needles, CA. Gas is very expensive until you get to Ludlow, CA!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Softail Girl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Death Valley, go down 178 south to Badwater, CA which is the lowest point in the valley. On your way to Badwater, there is a little road that branches off the 178 and it's called Artist's drive. It's just a 20 minute detour that is very beautiful. Well worth the time.

I just came back from a trip to Death Valley. If you're interested, look at my post under Road Trips.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

South of Amarillo (about 30 miles) is Palo Duro Canyon. Worth the detour!

http://www.palodurocanyon.com/

Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM
lzybt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moulin6801
Hey guys, I am thrilled that the wife agreed to let me go on a solo trip from Nashville, (Starting in St Loius, MO) and following route 66 to Ca, via Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Oatman and head North to do a circle around Death Valley. I will probably not have time to go down to Los Angeles ( I have been there already anyway).
Can you guys give some tips, and places that I must see and places that I MUST avoid !
It will be a long trip 13 days (well not long enough) and since I will be doing this by myself, I will appreciate any help!
I am planning to camp for the most part, and every 3rd day find a hotel for a change.
From May 13 - 25th.
I am planning to enjoy the trip over there, stop to smell the roses, and just do a iron butt 3 days returning home trip !!

PS: I have travelled by myself with my Dyna from N.Orleans to Sturgis by myself 5ys ago. The most miles I done than was a 700 miles in 1 day . This time I am travelling in Style with my 09 St Glide.
Thanks a lot for any info !!!
David
I'm going from southern maryland to seattle in May! I'm taking a southern route and want to hit route 66. I plan on about 400 miles a day. Camping and Hotels in between, Im not in a rush and am planning on taking 10 days to get to Seattle. Get with me and maybe we can come up with something. jhicks43@comcast.net

Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
BSW3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Softail Girl
In Death Valley, go down 178 south to Badwater, CA which is the lowest point in the valley. On your way to Badwater, there is a little road that branches off the 178 and it's called Artist's drive. It's just a 20 minute detour that is very beautiful. Well worth the time.

I just came back from a trip to Death Valley. If you're interested, look at my post under Road Trips.
Is your Bike a Custom Softail? Your color scheme is the same one I have on my Sporty! My father-in-law has the same bike. It is sharp!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 PM
moulin6801
Advanced
Thumbs up Route 66 info

Hey everybody, THANK YOU so much for the info, please keep them coming, I am taking note of them all and I will be adding them to my GPS map software in the computer, than before the trip, download to my Garmin GPS.
You guys are great! Thanks again, and if you think of something new, etc, please let me know.

My personal email is Moulin6801@yahoo.com
if someone has some photos, etc that they want to send me.
Cheers !
David

Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master

Originally Posted by BSW3
Is your Bike a Custom Softail? Your color scheme is the same one I have on my Sporty! My father-in-law has the same bike. It is sharp!
It's a Softail Heritage and the color is two-tone Blue Suede and Black... I think... It's quite unique in my neck-of-the-wood and I like it like that!

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by moulin6801
Hey guys, I am thrilled that the wife agreed to let me go on a solo trip from Nashville, (Starting in St Loius, MO) and following route 66 to Ca, via Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Oatman and head North to do a circle around Death Valley. I will probably not have time to go down to Los Angeles ( I have been there already anyway).
Can you guys give some tips, and places that I must see and places that I MUST avoid !
It will be a long trip 13 days (well not long enough) and since I will be doing this by myself, I will appreciate any help!
I am planning to camp for the most part, and every 3rd day find a hotel for a change.
From May 13 - 25th.
I am planning to enjoy the trip over there, stop to smell the roses, and just do a iron butt 3 days returning home trip !!

PS: I have travelled by myself with my Dyna from N.Orleans to Sturgis by myself 5ys ago. The most miles I done than was a 700 miles in 1 day . This time I am travelling in Style with my 09 St Glide.
Thanks a lot for any info !!!
David
Oatmanis cool as they let donkeys roam the town but don't forget to stop at Lake Havasu and check out the London Bridge as it fairly close to Oatman. After Oatman you can ride to Laughlina nd up to Vegas from there, crossing the dam but be careful going through Searchlight whichis about 1/2 way to LV as the cops really and I mean really enforce the speed limit. Also check out the pashnit forums as there are some stretches of 66 that don't have services for over 100+ miles. Your should document the trip with a camera and keep a journal then ceate a thread for us to check out when you get back.