General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse fork . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking Reverse fork . . .

This is a wonderful feature on the Touring models IMO. It self-centers the front end so well, I was wondering why it's not offerred on more models?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:39 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

You lost me there...could you explain?

Old 02-15-2009, 01:14 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

?????

Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 PM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

He is talking about the negative offset in the trees as opposed to the positive offset on all the other models

Old 02-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

If I understand it correctly, the forks are situated behind the pivot point where the front forks connect to the frame. On the other models, the forks lye infront of the pivot no?
The result? After you come out of a turn, the front end straightens itself out with very little effort. In other words, self-centering.
I guess I should have asked if there is a down side to this feature as none of the other models, as far as I know, have this setup.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The reason is it not offered is because it is hard to hide. The front of the Touring frame looks like a long necked goose. You can hide it decently under a RK nacelle and very well under the fairings of the other bikes.

The reversed triple trees make the Touring models far superior at very slow speeds. They have zero flop. Even the best of the other bikes feel kinda top heavy at walking speeds.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:16 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the explanation. That's what I like about this forum. I'm learning something new all the time.

Originally Posted by Sleeko Deluxe
If I understand it correctly, the forks are situated behind the pivot point where the front forks connect to the frame. On the other models, the forks lye infront of the pivot no?
The result? After you come out of a turn, the front end straightens itself out with very little effort. In other words, self-centering.
I guess I should have asked if there is a down side to this feature as none of the other models, as far as I know, have this setup.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
The reason is it not offered is because it is hard to hide. The front of the Touring frame looks like a long necked goose. You can hide it decently under a RK nacelle and very well under the fairings of the other bikes.

The reversed triple trees make the Touring models far superior at very slow speeds. They have zero flop. Even the best of the other bikes feel kinda top heavy at walking speeds.
Thanks. That makes sense. It would be real obvious on the FX models. BTW, by looking at these models (FX), it easily shows what I'm talking about. With the FL softail models, you just may be able to get away with it as there is a cover over the fork ends. If you made it a little deeper - thicker, there just might be a little wiggle room . . . LOL. Well, it sure would help the handling IMO. Appreciate the help.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:42 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

It appears that it's more possible to experience a high speed tank slapper with these reversed forks, compared to regular fork geometry. At least that seems to be what I've heard from several sources. It can have more sources than you can shake a stick at on a day off work: Neck bearing wear/misadjustment, wheel bearing wear, wheel bearing side-play, loose spokes, tire wear, incorrect tire inflation, engine mount wear, swingarm misalignment, swingarm bearing wear, total bike alignment.

My guess, and it is only a semi-educated guess, is that the unusual front end geometry is more affected by anything else not being nearly perfect than that of a bike with "normal" front end geometry.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the positive offset in the trees was needed with the higher neck rake angles in order to bring the trail in a safe zone? Or is it just one way?

Quick Reply: Reverse fork . . .