General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Carb or Injected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
You can keep FI and everything associated with it. I'm going riding on my bike with the advanced toilet that delivers fuel in a manner that I have set it up to do and while doing so I will be spending the money I saved on gas, which allows me to ride even further....
Doesn't your 2004 Yamaha FZ6 have FI? You stated it has run flawlessly, so I dont' know what all the fuss is about.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4175660-post1.html

Old 02-16-2009, 11:46 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
Doesn't your 2004 Yamaha FZ6 have FI? You stated it has run flawlessly, so I dont' know what all the fuss is about.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4175660-post1.html
Yes, the FZ does have injection (the only bike I have with injection) and if I followed the letters Yamaha International has sent to me it too would have been in the shop to have an issue they recalled repaired. However, I have spoken with the local dealer to let them know I am still the owner and have yet to experience the problem they want to fix so no recall fix for me because it has operated flawlessly and contued to do so when I went for a ride today at 28 degrees. Apparently others have not been so lucky, which is why they had a recall. Take this one step further and you will find they redesigned that injection system in 2007 to remidy the malfunction forever.

The problem I have here is the same problem that always comes up when people start saying things like FI starts better, or FI gets better fuel mileage, or FI has fewer malfunctions. I've seen shortcomings on both sides. I would agree that stock for stock, the FI is generally smoother in most cases however, when the carb bike gets dialed in and jetted properly, which it isn't from the factory, it is pretty much fool proof and if maintained properly very rarely malfunctions. In contrast, I have had two OBDII vehicles that were injected which have had injector failures and one that while operating flawlessly has a current recall. I had a CJ7 that was carbed and went 20 years before I sold it on the same carb with not one malfunction and that Jeep got put through pure hell during its lifespan.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:32 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This is my first FI bike and I love it. Never going back to a carb if I can help it.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
Yes, the FZ does have injection (the only bike I have with injection) and if I followed the letters Yamaha International has sent to me it too would have been in the shop to have an issue they recalled repaired. However, I have spoken with the local dealer to let them know I am still the owner and have yet to experience the problem they want to fix so no recall fix for me because it has operated flawlessly and contued to do so when I went for a ride today at 28 degrees. Apparently others have not been so lucky, which is why they had a recall. Take this one step further and you will find they redesigned that injection system in 2007 to remidy the malfunction forever.

The problem I have here is the same problem that always comes up when people start saying things like FI starts better, or FI gets better fuel mileage, or FI has fewer malfunctions. I've seen shortcomings on both sides. I would agree that stock for stock, the FI is generally smoother in most cases however, when the carb bike gets dialed in and jetted properly, which it isn't from the factory, it is pretty much fool proof and if maintained properly very rarely malfunctions. In contrast, I have had two OBDII vehicles that were injected which have had injector failures and one that while operating flawlessly has a current recall. I had a CJ7 that was carbed and went 20 years before I sold it on the same carb with not one malfunction and that Jeep got put through pure hell during its lifespan.
I dont' recal saying one runs or starts better than the other. I agree there are pros and cons to both sides, and I agree that the problems with carbs are exhaggerated, but it seems the anti FI folks do the same. The bottom line is that you are much more likely to have a failure that leaves you stranded caused by something common to both types. Alternator, fuel pump, starter, battery, etc.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned both, and they both have their benefits. Carbs are cheaper to tune and when something goes wrong with one, you can still usually still limp home. On FI if it breaks you’re done! Get towed and it’s expensive to tune. However I currently have FI and have about 30000 miles on the bike with no problems. It starts easier, runs smoother, gets better mileage, and makes more power than carbed bikes. So is the trade off worth it? I'll let you know after it leaves me stranded somewhere.

Last edited by 1Coastie; 02-17-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Mines carbed, the next one will be FI. While I'm sitting there fooling with the choke and worried about running it too long and fouling plugs and then having to stand there and keep a hand on the thropttle, my FI friends are putting on jackets and waloking around. Mine has to warm up to run good, theirs does from cold starts. Their mileage is a little better.

Fi is the only way to go for my money (and it will be )

Bubba

Old 02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,353 Likes on 8,411 Posts
Default Question

for you EFI fan's. Can you push start a Harley with EFI that has a dead battery?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by JW1200
for you EFI fan's. Can you push start a Harley with EFI that has a dead battery?
Never had to push start a bike but I have push started EFI cars.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
Yep, and even when push starting a FI engine will start easier than a carbed engine.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

electronic fuel injection

Quick Reply: Question: Carb or Injected?