Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Carb or Injected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
raaaaaa
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

injected, I can work on my own bike with no hassles. some of the older forum members will go with carb because if you break down you can work on your bike. but that only applies to older bike that had a reputation for breaking down. today's bike is very reliable.
fuelly bikes allow me to buy a new bike pipes air cleaner fuel managment and install it all myself without see the dealer.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

injected, i'll never go back to carb again. no choke or hard starts when cold again.
only negative about a efi bike is there is no reserve fuel tank so don't let it get to low.
dirt bikes are even going to injected now days

Old 02-15-2009, 09:04 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

Injected...I've had carb bikes and will never own one again! Nothing like when it's 28 degrees pushing a button and the bike starts right up. You don't have to wait for it to warm up...Just clunk it into first and go!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jason628
Greetings,

Injected...I've had carb bikes and will never own one again! Nothing like when it's 28 degrees pushing a button and the bike starts right up. You don't have to wait for it to warm up...Just clunk it into first and go!
It gets a buttload colder than 28 degrees where I live and all I have to do is pull the enrichner, fire the bike and ride off. I venture to say this is what you refer to as pushing the button and starting right up. Warm up is a product of time and has zero to do with the bike being injected. It would however help if the carb was set up right.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:57 PM
eliems
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last bike was an FI Heritage and current is carbed Train. I like the carb better.
Sounds better, doesn't linger at quick stops before it settles down the RPM , drop is much faster and more responsive. Simpler, no probs with Stage One ane cheaper to do. Has the Reserve Gas feature which has saved me once already. Understandable, don't need a laptop and download. Limps home if something goes wrong or the battery is low where FI dies on the road. Not so many sensors. Stats cold and warms just fine.

I'm happy!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

Carbs are a thing of the past; like air cooling, pushrods, 2 valve heads, wire spoked wheels, two-tone paint jobs, twin rear shocks, cable controls, exposed batteries and analog instruments.

EFI is much easier to operate and better for our environment; like clean quiet exhaust.

But I'm kinda stuck in the past due to my age, so will get by with my old FXDXT.
The wife, however, really enjoys her new FXDL.

Attached Thumbnails Question: Carb or Injected?-doreen-and-jim-bennet-dam-12-jul-08.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009, 05:17 AM
Roses
Road Captain

I've had both and have no further comments to add except.

If you got a bike for worry free riding = FI (no more carb farts, no more vapor lock, no more heat soaking the fuel in the carb at a red light)

If you are addicted to tinkering/modifying = carb (or become an expert with SERT)

Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sharkey
Carbs are a thing of the past; like air cooling, pushrods, 2 valve heads, wire spoked wheels, two-tone paint jobs, twin rear shocks, cable controls, exposed batteries and analog instruments.

EFI is much easier to operate and better for our environment; like clean quiet exhaust.
Carbs are a thing of the past only because the EPA says so. Air cooling, pushrods, 2 valve heads, wire spoked wheels, two-tone paint jobs, twin rear shocks, cable controls, exposed batteries and analog instruments are still here and likely will be for some time as long as the name Harley-Davidson is around.

Carbed bikes will start just as easy and take off just as fast as FI bikes once they are set up right and carb farts are pretty much non existant once they are. The money required to set up the carb bike is all of about $10 where the FI bike can be in the hundreds no problem once you getting into mapping, which will likely need to be done when the FI bike gets that new exhaust and AC. In the case of the 1200 Sportster I have yet to talk with an FI owner that can pull the range or fuel mileage I can with the carb and I don't have to worry about an idiot light coming on when it shouldn't, replacing an O2 sensor when it finally takes a dump or an injector malfunction on the open road in the middle of nowhere. I don't see one being any more friendly to the environment than the other as they both burn fossil fuels.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

I guess I like carbs better , but I like steam engines better also .

Drafting boards vs autocad , wood stoves , film cameras vs digital

Just like vinyl records kick digital recording's azz!!!!!

Shakey

Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
Just like vinyl records kick digital recording's azz!!!!!Shakey
Man is that ever true. Trying to get a disc of some old recordings that for lack of appeal to some will never be out again is impossible. Then, if you do happen to find one, it's not the same as the original and it even says digitally remastered. The problem is, that digitally remastered version changes the sound and even the voices.

Quick Reply: Question: Carb or Injected?