Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Carb or Injected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like EFI for the cool electronics. I like being able to record data while riding and see what's actually going on. An EFI is a carb with a thousand jets so I don't really see an advantage to a carb except for if that's what you know and are familar with. Just the warmup enrichment with an EFI rather than dinking around with a choke makes EFI preferable to me. EFI is more complicated, there is more to go wrong with it and when it fails it's likely to cost you a bit more than a can of gumout.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hell i miss the kick start so guess where my feelings are..... but injection does work well

Old 02-15-2009, 03:38 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't even remember how the carb bikes run anymore. The FI just start and go. It's a beautiful thing.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Miami Veith
Tourer

ive always been a fan of a carb

Old 02-15-2009, 06:09 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dog155
For me it has always been a carb,the single biggest reason is tunability.It is so much less expensive when building your own machines.Love the idle of a carbed motor.Despite all you hear a carbed motor with a decent tune is very hard to beat!Good Luck
I agree and have both carbed and injected bikes. One place people always talk about when saying they love injection is cold starts and I say, get the dang thing set up right and that carbed bike will start and take off right away too. To me, the injected bikes are way to laptop dependent, which generally equates to additional costs when tuning that simply aren't there with the carbed bike. Had they stayed with calpacks like those used in OBD1 things would have been far better off.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:41 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Carb, its easier to work on. Dont need a lot of fancy tools, or diagnostics.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
JDB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb

The carb is easier, cheaper and if it breaks It will probably limp home. I can buy another carb and itstall it myself. My bike will also get me more miles on a weak battery. I also miss the simply days when things were more user friendly. I do like electronic ignitions, points were easy but required to much maintenance.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:56 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I like carbs better , but I like steam engines better also .

Drafting boards vs autocad , wood stoves , film cameras vs digital ( although I got

my first digital for X-mas ( I didn't ask for it mind you) and its pretty cool) , shoot had to have a cell phone a couple yrs

back , ticked me off swore I'd never own one . Got used to it way to fast .

Cripes may as well wear a friggen bow tie .

Yup I sold out to the Man .

Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Tough call...but I have to go with a carbed bike. You stick a good mikuni on a HD motor and it's hard to beat. Plus...in today's modern world of instant electronic everything...I would just like to have old school once in a while.

I have actually been thinking of getting an old 60's or 70's HD and doing a restoration. I never minded a kicker either. (made you mindful of keeping your bike tuned)

Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I didn't know that I had a choice any more! Oh well, I would much rather have F/I anyway.

Quick Reply: Question: Carb or Injected?