General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breathable rain suit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:43 PM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Breathable rain suit

The wife and I are going on a 10 day vacation on the bike in July and need to get rain suits. We have the Harley Overpass II rain suits but they're way too bulky to pack for a long trip. We need all the space we can get so I'm looking for gear that will pack small. Must be waterproof, BREATHABLE, and not take up half a saddlebag <g>. I looked at the HD Canal street for me and the new HD Jettison for her, both packed down small but they're not breathable or vented. Don't want Frogg Toggs either. Looking at these.... http://www.motorcycleleather.biz/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=575 but the description doesn't mention anything about vents or breath-ability. Also checking out the Tourmaster Sentinel. Only going to need these for hot, wet weather. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Larry

Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing breathes better than Gore-Tex. I have the HD Gore-Tex rain suit and love it.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:34 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you already have good rain gear. If you're gonna be gone for 10 days, I'd find somewhere to strap it on. We keep ours in the top roll of a T-Bag Lonestar.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:26 PM
bowa18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
Sounds like you already have good rain gear. If you're gonna be gone for 10 days, I'd find somewhere to strap it on. We keep ours in the top roll of a T-Bag Lonestar.

I'm looking at all our options. It's our first long trip and we're going to have to figure out what to and what not to take. We've done plenty of 2-3 day trips and cargo space wasn't much of an issue. The Overpass rain suits are really nice but take up way too much valuable space. I originally was planning on getting a hitch and trailer to pull behind the bike, BUT.... I talk to HD customer service and was told that without a doubt, 100% sure that a trailer hitch will automatically void my warranty. I questioned them but was told it would for sure. I have a '09 Ultra with ESP for 5 years and don't want any hassles so that shot that idea. I don't want to take up a bunch of space for something that we may not need so I'm definitely going to find some suits that are more packable without being like a sweat suit . Thanks for the reply, Larry

Old 02-15-2009, 05:46 AM
cerk4
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out a good sporting goods store or better yet check out a good backpacking/hiking store they pack light and have durable equipment, try www.campmore.com they have a large selection

Old 02-15-2009, 07:27 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've got an Ultra, then get a luggage rack for your tour-pak and a T-Bag Dakota.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:51 AM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I highly recommend Nelson-Rigg boot covers if you're expecting rain.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:53 AM
bowa18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BadBobOk
If you've got an Ultra, then get a luggage rack for your tour-pak and a T-Bag Dakota.

I have a luggage rack and bought a Kuryakyn Grandtraveler bag. It's a nice bag and I can fit a ton of stuff in it but the problem is it weighs 10 lbs. empty (wouldn't have bought it if I'd known that). We did a "test" pack, putting t-shirts, socks, underwear, etc., all lighter weight items, it went up to 20 lbs. in short order. Add the two king-sized rain suits and it's pushing 25 lbs. I put bigger washers under the racks legs for more support but still worry about damaging the lid. I'm sure I'll find some lighter, more packable gear that won't sweat us out. Honestly, I think the Overpass suits are too heavy for summer use anyhow. Thanks for the post, Larry

Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 AM
bowa18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by deni
I highly recommend Nelson-Rigg boot covers if you're expecting rain.
Thanks, I am going to get those, nothing worse than wet boots! Naturally I'm hoping we have sunny weather the whole trip but got to be prepared for wet weather. Thanks, Larry

Old 02-15-2009, 09:05 AM
txbazzman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your issue with Frog toggs?

Quick Reply: Breathable rain suit