Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't believe what this seller did to me - Anything like this ever happen to you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
kmrumedy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't believe what this seller did to me - Anything like this ever happen to you?

So I was buying my first bike to get into the hobby. Was looking for something different that needed a little work so I could learn the bike and mechanics.

I found a 1955 Panhead for sale about 400 miles from my home. The seller was going through very hard times. Lost his job, behind on his mortgage payments, health issues, heart problem, etc. It struck a cord with me as this could happen to any of us.

So I gave him his asking price. He didn't want a check and asked if I could give it to him in cash. Call my banker..no problem and got the money. He offered to deliver the bike for a few extra dollars and I went out and got some extra cash. Our deal was done Friday night. The bike was to be delivered Monday morning at 10am.

I spent the weekend cleaning space in the garage, excited as hell as I buy $350 in manuals, reference materials, DVDs, etc.

Monday morning 10am - no show
Noon - no show
5:00pm - no show

I phone his cell worried he's lost or in an accident. No answer.

I get an email late Monday night from the seller telling me while he was driving down, he stopped for some gas, and guess what?

......someone at the garage offered him $700 more for the bike than our deal.......so he sold it to him on the way down!!!! I waited in all day for him and he never called me....Oh....sorry for the inconvenience was his last note to me.

WTF!!!! I went out of my way to help this guy. Bought $$$$ books on Panheads which I guess I don't need now.

In my book, your word if your word. It is all about integrity....some have it....some don't. I think this might be the root of the sellers issues.

INCREDIABLE!!!!

I thought buying a bike was supposed to be fun.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$$$ talks..!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:31 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A man's word or handshake doesn't mean much to some unfortunately....hopefully you will be able to find another bike and go from there.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

That's just wrong, and if he pulled that **** on the wrong guy, he'd be chewing a dirt sandwich right now in some undisclosed location! I don't give a rat's *** if some guy offered him 3 times what his deal with you was, a real man would have said sorry, I made a deal! Sucks you can't trust a man's word anymore!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:33 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Consider yourself lucky. Especially if your just getting in motorcycling.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:35 PM
GB_FXST
Road Warrior

He did you wrong.

IMHO, he should have honored the deal with you.

Failing that, he should have at least called you to let you make a counter offer, or tell you that your deal was off.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:39 PM
jagator
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I have a little different take on this. The guy was offered 700 buck's more than you offered. I agree he should have called you and let you know what was going on, and even give you a chance to counter the offer. So I agree he could have handled it better, but hay man that is what capitalism is all about.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:40 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Live and learn, sorry...

Old 02-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

sorry about that but almost the samething to me i bought 2 cars from a doctor md a doctor send a bank check for the cars did i tell you he was a doctor called the transport company to pickup cars and bring them to me paid them no problem we know him and we know where he lives did i tell you he is a doctor cars to be pickup tuesday money in hand everything set cars to be pickup 10 am get a call 9:55 that he sold the cars to some one else for more money and had called the company for me to cancel my pickup of cars did i tell you he is a doctor says to me he will send me my money back and have a nice day 3 days later i did get my money back
did i tell you he is a doctor
a mans word is the only thing that should count

Old 02-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Boo67
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 7125
sorry about that but almost the samething to me i bought 2 cars from a doctor md a doctor send a bank check for the cars did i tell you he was a doctor called the transport company to pickup cars and bring them to me paid them no problem we know him and we know where he lives did i tell you he is a doctor cars to be pickup tuesday money in hand everything set cars to be pickup 10 am get a call 9:55 that he sold the cars to some one else for more money and had called the company for me to cancel my pickup of cars did i tell you he is a doctor says to me he will send me my money back and have a nice day 3 days later i did get my money back
did i tell you he is a doctor
a mans word is the only thing that should count
Hey 7125...that guy wasn't a DOCTOR by any chance, was he?

Quick Reply: Can't believe what this seller did to me - Anything like this ever happen to you?