General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield and front turning signals - problem??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windshield and front turning signals - problem??

My hubby is installing a Memphis Shades ( a "FAT" model) windshield on my 2008 Street Bob. He says it won't work unless he moves the front turning signals down onto my front fork because the way it is now my front turn signals are hidden by the shield - specifically by the cross bar on the shield. I had this problem on my Nightster and that's what he did, but I am wondering - for those of you who ride with a windshield, do any of you ride with your turn signals behind your windshield, or have you moved them? I don't think it's a big deal. He does.

He is also thinking this shield is going to be too tall for me (it's an old one of his), and so if I have to buy a new one that's lower, I suppose I could buy a "SLIM", (if that would even make any difference in regard to the signals) but I don't really want to do that because I'm afraid I'll get more buffetting. Before I go buying anything new, if it's necessary, I figure'd I'd post here for some input.

Help?? Comments? Thanks.

Last edited by June Bug; 02-14-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:55 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I moved my turn signals down to the forks, but for different reasons. I was switching over to ape hangers and thought they'd look odd way up there. I have heard of people taking their shields into glass repair stores and having them cut them down. You might try that.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:13 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Think I'd sell the hand me down windshield and buy one that fits your bike and you.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:45 PM
hardluk1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most like to just look over the top of a shield in case of a down pour so the old man can handle that cut or mark with masking tape and take to a glass shop and have them cut and polish it for you. The turn signals do typicaly get moved down to the lower tree area. If your lower tree has screws on the side you could drill out your lights mounting holes and get some bolts long enough to go though from the inside of the light and screw directly to the tree cost just 2 bolts and 2 nuts and a couple minutes to drill the lights hole out larger. I have done that move on a couple sporty's and dynas along with my current fxr. If you don't have the screw holes in the trees go to hd parts and buy the mount kit ,wires should move to that spot just fine and tie off with a couple extra plastic ties.

Last edited by hardluk1; 02-14-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:54 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Hey thanks guys. The height of the windshield, and the turn signals are two different problems. I just sat on the bike and I do think even if hubby moves the shield down as far as it goes, (there's still about an inch or so he can go down), I'll still be looking through it and so I will need to have a shorter shield. His "old" shield was barely used and the color on the lower half matches my bike nicely. That's why we decided to try it.

The problem still is the turn signals and I suppose we can just move them like I had to with my Nightster. I was just hoping not to have to do that. To me, I think the signals are peaking out a bit from the windshield. Hubby thinks not and that it's dangerous. So now I have to decide if I will go to a "Slims" shade and maybe overcome THAT obstacle, or stay with a "Fats" shade and move the signals. Decisions, decisions.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:43 PM
08UltraRider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue I had with the signal lights in the stock location on the Softail Custom I used to own was, at night the running lights reflected off the winshield interfering with my night vision....

So I used the signal light relocation kit to move the lights down on the forks. I had Memphis Lowers deflectors on the forks where I had to move them down about an inch to accommodate the signal lights so then the helmet buffeting got a little worse...

Part number of the relocation kit for your 08 Street Bob if you don't already have it is.... 69433-08

Old 02-14-2009, 02:49 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is it possible to cut the bottom of the shield, around the sig lites?

Old 02-14-2009, 02:59 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If the bottom color obscures the signals, I'd say you need to go with a slimmer shield or relocate the signals.
I think the signals look better where they are.

Looking at the slim shades on the memphis site I'm wondering what would stop you from trimming the top and sides of the one you have now to clear the signals.

If you have a jigsaw cutting a windshield is easy. Plenty of info online as to how it's done. I cut 1-1/2" off the top of mine and it looks factory.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:00 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

More great thoughts. THanks again! Gives me some options. That's what I love about this forum. THere always seems to be SOMEONE who has had a similar problem, or just has some good suggestions.