Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michilien Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:45 AM
POPS87FXR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michilien Tires

I thought I would post this here so as to get the most exposure.

We just had our first set of Micheline tires come in to be mounted this week, and I feel I should let as many people know what went on as I can.

Background:
In 1997 I ran a Bikers Dream store and we bought Michelin's on the recommendation of our Drag Rep, he even gave me a free set for my 95 FHLTCU. When I went to mount them, I could not get the rear one to bead, (Mags Not spokes) I tried all the conventional means we had at hand, tire goop, bead expander, 2 other guys helping me hold it. None of this worked, so seeing how it was early August and 102 degrees outside I put the tire and wheel outside for two hours.
After this using goop and the bead expander I got it to bead. But by this time I was thinking, if it is this hard to bead, what will happen if it goes flat?
I let it set for another 2 hours and then deflated it, left the valve core in it and stepped on the side wall, the bead broke all the way around almost immediately.

Fast forward to 2009:

One of our best techs comes to my office and asks me if I have ever had trouble with Michelines, so I go out to the shop and he explains he has tried every normal method to get the tire to bead and it has not.

When HD first approved Michelin as an alternative tire, Michelin sent out a letter to HD dealers stating that we may encounter some difficulties with getting their tires to bead, but they were working on it.

I guess nothing has changed in twelve years, my concern is the same as it was in 97, by the way I returned all of the Micheline to Drag and have never bought them again.

We informed our customer of the problem and that we felt, that running thes tire would not be in his best interest.

Less than an hour later the customer calls me and has Michielen customer service on another line for a conference call, I expalined all of the steps we had taken to get this tire to bead and were unsucessfull, (We never got this one to pop) I found it interesting that the Michelien rep never said anything in defense of thier product or offered any other advice.

Just passing along my experience.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Harley Joe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run these Michelin Commander tires on my Ultra for the last 25,000 miles and have had no problems. They handle like a dream and don't wear as quick as the Dunlops. It may be my imagination, but the rear tire don't drift as bad at slow speed. I guess the sidewalls are a bit stiffer? Could that cause the problem you mention with the bead seating?

I'll be glad when someone comes up with a tire that will ride better and last longer - the perfect tire.....

Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Commanders on my Springer and they are great. I have only had them for a about 2500 miles, but they don't seem to be wearing badly at all and they handle like a dream.

Just my limited experience with them.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Trashpunk63
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has been running the Michelins on his Super Glide with no problems, says he prefers them to the Dunlops.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 AM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Put michelins on for my trip to Milwaukee 105th. Phx to Milwaukee.
Now will never go back to Dunlops.
One problem, not serious, Michelins must be just a tad larger than Lops.
rubber belt guard rubs slightly, had dealer check it twice, does not touch
the belt just the belt guard keeps the tire clean and shiney.
anyone else has this?

Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put Michelins on,front & rear,5k miles ago.

They handle great and look to be wearing better than the Dunlops.I'll get another set of Michelins when these wear out.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:36 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dunflops are the worst tires I've ever used. I've been a Michelin man for years now.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by st john
Put michelins on for my trip to Milwaukee 105th. Phx to Milwaukee.
Now will never go back to Dunlops.
One problem, not serious, Michelins must be just a tad larger than Lops.
rubber belt guard rubs slightly, had dealer check it twice, does not touch
the belt just the belt guard keeps the tire clean and shiney.
anyone else has this?
My Dunlop Elite 3 does this. It's a bit wider than stock.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contrary to others experiences, I am not particularly impressed with the Michelin Commanders. I have about 10,000 miles on a set that I put on hoping to get away from the wild girations in road cracks, tar snakes, grooved pavement and steel bridges. The first thing I noticed when the Michelins were mounted was the similarity in tread pattern to the Dunlops.

My experience has been a slight but not great improvement in these driving conditions - otherwise, they handle about the same as the original Dunlops.

I'll put another Michelin on the back and run them until the front is done then give E3s a try.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,065 Likes on 3,631 Posts

On my 2nd Commander rear, lasts a bit longer that MU85B16 and seems a bit more quiet? The shop that puts my tire on never said anything about it not beading well???If i find another deal on one i will not hesitate to buy it.

Quick Reply: Michilien Tires