General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of rain gear do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:54 PM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Back in 2001 when we got our first Heritage, we went to a bike rally and saw some Frogg Toggs. We went home and thought we'd order some from their website since we were so impressed. My husband wanted black, because he thought it looked best, but I thought I would rather be seen than look best so I talked him into ordering the orange ones.

Well, picture it, we went and rode the Blue Ridge Parkway, and it started to rain, so we donned our handy dandy bright orange Frogg Toggs. Well, I have to tell ya, we got the strangest looks we have ever gotten!! I mean folks literally almost fell off their bikes looking at us and I could see them laughing. We were appalled and started feeling like two orange sherbet Push Ups going down the road! Now, I will say this, we are not always swayed by what other people think of us, but we couldn't wait til it stopped raining and when we got home those orange Frogg Toggs hit ebay!

So then we got some cooler looking, but cheap plastic type rain suits and though they looked better, they were hot as heck and so hard to get on. So, we went back to Frogg Toggs since they feel good and are light weight and pack so easily. But now we have the black.

But, I'm still worried about them not having any reflective material on them. We have gotten caught in downpours, especially in the mountains that cause very bad visibility and I worry about things like that.

What do you have? Is it packable? Does it have reflective material on it?
It does not have to be HD, but I need something easy to pack, reflectiveness and is breathable and do not mind paying for it if it has all this and is good quality. Looking for advice. Thanks!
I carry the following and they are very comparative to the frogg Toggs but have reflective piping on them, I can also get you any of the nelson Rigg suites if you are interested. Don't forget you get 10% off with coupon HF10 and shipping on orders over 100.00 is free.

http://shop.techncyclegear.com/produ...0&productId=62

Old 02-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Marine.Top.58
Banned Camp

Bite the bullet and get Gore-Tex. HD's Pac-Lite Gore-Tex looks really nice and should fold up nice and small. I personally have a pair of black Pac-Lite pants from Cabelas and a Marine Corps Digital Gore-Tex top. The Marine Corps top, like the HD top, has the tucked in hood, which I like. I don't like having a rain catch on the back.

Gore-Tex® Paclite® Rain Jacket

Last edited by Marine.Top.58; 02-13-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved to California so that I wouldn't have to carry rain gear. 8 months of the year you can ride with ZERO fear of rain. 2 additional months you can ride with very little chance of rain and then there is today.

Today we had a break in the rain so I decided to take the bike just a mile or so in the bright sunshine to the store. When I came out of the store I saw the huge hail storm coming and well, got wet. As soon as I got home the sun came back out...The clothes are in the dryer and once the streets dry up a bit, I'm gonna take another ride...LOL...still not gonna buy any rain gear...

Old 02-13-2009, 03:25 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

I've got the Tourmaster Sentinel jacket and venture overpants. They have reflective piping and there is a small reflective triangle on the back of the jacket. Last year on the Trail of Tears ride we had to put on rain gear. A buddy of mine behind me told me that all he could see of me was the small reflective triangle while we were riding. I wish I had gotten something brighter.

You should have kept the orange frog toggs. Who cares what everyone else thinks? Black rain gear on a rainy day is pretty much camouflage.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer

I have the HD packable.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I would have kept the orange ones. I don't care at all when people I know think I'm dressed funny, with strangers I care even less.
If your that concerned with what other people think then do not get matching outfits.
Most HD rain gear is functional, and will keep you dry. These days HD gear is not in style everywhere.
If you like your Frogg Toggs add some reflective material, those reflective vests may be nice to have if your ever stop along side the road.
Tourmaster and Nelson Riggs gear is also good.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 PM
wharfrat1959
Advanced

Originally Posted by IamZardoz
Walmart. $25 I think. Works fine.
+1 on these. waterproof Die Hard work boots, too. don't mind the wet face too much. only hurts a little. ;-P

Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have first gear one pc thermo suit it is warm, 100 ercent waterproff and packs
pretty small if you roll it tight

Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
IronhorseRider
Advanced

My Wife and I both have a HD rain suit. They both work great and are not showing any signs of wearing out any time soon.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:24 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Overpass II Rain Jacket and Pant which is real nice. Waited for a dealer sale and got it for about $100. Hard to beat at that price.

Quick Reply: What kind of rain gear do you have?