General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel like there's a deeper message in this...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 PM
teddyj56
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feel like there's a deeper message in this...

Last night I was cruising with one of my buddies, when out of nowhere a wild hog (couldn't have weighed less than 100 pounds) runs out into the road and I hit it. I don't just hit it, I run over it. I t-bone it, launch 2 feet in the air and land perfectly straight. For the past day, I've felt like that scene in Pulp Fiction when Samuel L. Jackson has the epiphany of divine intervention. It almost seemed trivial at the time, but I feel like this sort of thing doesn't just happen. You don't just hit 100 pound wild hogs going 70mph, jump your Night Train and keep riding for a quarter mile before stopping to think that maybe you should go back and check out WTF just happened. I know things could have easily ended so much differently.

As far as damages, I took the bike to the shop and my front forks just got a little bent. Not great, but considering the alternatives and what could have happened, it's not to bad. Everyone at the shop couldn't believe the story when I told them. Hell, I didn't believe it when it happened. But now my new nickname is porkchop.

Basically, I've had the feeling all day that there really has to be a much deeper spiritual moral besides, "don't ride your bike in the country at night."

...and no I didn't bring the hog home to eat.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 PM
jskelington
Road Captain

Glad to hear it all had a happy ending. You may have missed the opportunity of a lifetime tho. Just think, from this day forward you could have been called T-bone. But now you gotta just be porkchop.
Seriously,glad you're ok.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Concrete Cowboy 2009
Cruiser

Wow, glad everything turned out ok. I'm not sure if a spiritual implication is appropriate here or not, but as my Grandma used to say: "You oughta thank your maker."

Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like GOD was trying to supply you with a months supply of breakfast meat!!!!..and/or Pork blood to throw on terrorists...:>)

Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Greyboat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are ok, sorry about the bike damage.

I hit a skunk once. that really stunk........Wife would not let me in the house until I stripped. Usually that is fun, this time she meant it.......I was in the Navy and we were broke, I had to throw out a perfectly good pair of boots.
Point is, I like how you are looking at the incident, it could have been worse. Porkchop

Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 PM
kbear
Road Captain

Porkchop...That is a good way to earn a nickname.

And that is a "Saving the Bacon" story for your grandkids.

As long as the OL or your buddies aren't giving you the any guff about Piggy going to the market you should be okay. You may never live it down but hey Badge of Honor on that one. Make a good Avatar...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 AM
teddyj56
Cruiser

Thanks guys.
It's just been one of those things that's been running around in my head for the past day and I needed to get off my chest and tell everyone I could. I'm fine and the bike, well insurance will be getting me a whole new blacked out front end, so it'll be good in a week or two (just in time for bike week). But this certainly is one of the coolest things that's happened to me in my brief time on this planet.

Y'all take care and ride safe... and for God's sake, stay off those backwood roads late at night.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:20 AM
20NightTrain03
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i think The Lord is trying to tell you would make a good stunt rider......

j/k

i certainly do believe some crazy stuff like this does happen for a reason

Old 02-13-2009, 05:32 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

a lot better to be "pork-chop" than "rash".... or "skid" or "crash"
now quit bs'ing... ond go buy a lotto ticket

Old 02-13-2009, 05:42 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Smile

WOW! 70 mph on a back road? At night? You got WAY bigger nads than I do! Now maybe the "back roads" where you ride aren't like those where I ride. Around here, a back road is 2 full lanes wide, if you're lucky. Mostly 1 and a 1/2 lanes. They twist and turn, elevation changes every couple of hundred feet, pavement changes from smooth to rough to really rough and back to rough. Which is part of the fun of riding those "back roads." Every turn is a new experience. I try to paln my rides so I am not on one at night. But if I am, I have all the lights on, eyes wide open, head on a swivel and maybe I'll go 40 mph. If a cager comes up behind me, I wave them past. Don't get me wrong, I am not passing judgement. I'm just trying to say that I would be way too scared ride that fast on the back roads around here. Glad to hear you didn't lose it. The forks are replaceable, you are not.

Quick Reply: I feel like there's a deeper message in this...