General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another guess what I went and did...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another guess what I went and did...

One thing for sure.. it isn't buying a V star.. What I did do.. was put a deposit on an 883 Low for my wife. She's been talking learning to ride and getting a bike of her own.. apparently, it wasn't just talk.

It came down to one of two bikes, a 500 Vulcan or the Sporty. We looked at the Kawi two nights ago.. and last night, we looked a very nice '07 883. We went to dinner, talked about it.. and her final decision was go get the sporty.. so we did.

We take delivery in a week or so.. and the plan is for her to take msf basic course, and probably the rider's edge beginner's class as well. My thinking is, before she gets to class, I'd like to get her out on the bike, just to help her get familar with the controls and the very basic stuff, like starting out, shifting up a gear, slowing down and stopping. Hopefullly, if she is familar with the basic operation of the bike, she'll be more at ease and hopefully more confident for the class. We're both excited obviously, so wish us luck. I'll get some pictures when we get the bike home.

Cheers

mavrick

Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
hogginit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick, find a friend with an old Honda so she can get the minor dropping it phase out of the way ! Saves damage to her Sportster.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:41 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master

good for her, see ya both on the road.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats ...learn to ride on a harley...why switch it up..if she's inexperienced have her take a riding course

Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother thought that. His wife popped the clutch, popped a wheely, ran across the street, through the ditch and fell over in the neighbors front yard. My brother ran over, lifted the bike up, checked it for damage and said "thank goodness there's no damage to the bike." He stood there scratching his head as she stormed into the house and didn't understand why she refused to ever ride the bike again.

So I have to ask, why would you?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 PM
fr8mover
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did the same thing for my wife she took the riders edge class last Oct. and we got her a 1200 custom in Jan I'm still scared as hell watching her ride on her own but she is having a blast even in Kansas she has almoe 400 miles on it already lol good luck to yours hope she has as much fun as mine is

Old 02-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! You are in for a lot of fun. My wife took the class last summer and inheirited my 1200C. She loves riding it and put a couple thousand miles on it since then. And yes, you will spend a lot of time looking back at her in your rear view mirror......

Shakey

Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 AM
HarleyCanada
Tourer

Stoked for you guys!!!!! Another Harley in the garage is always a great accessory for a Harley already parked there!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Good for you guys ! Now you have two bikes to work on

Old 02-13-2009, 08:41 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Excellent choice on the bike and an excellent way to make a good marriage even better.

Quick Reply: Another guess what I went and did...