General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another guess what I went and did...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 AM
foxhd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a $100 350 honda for my wife to drop in her learning. Before I got her a good bike, we had grand kids and now she won't ride at all saying she has a greater purpose. Saved me alot of $.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A Sportster was definatley the better investment. She should be able to handle a Low pretty well.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:04 PM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by foxhd
I got a $100 350 honda for my wife to drop in her learning. Before I got her a good bike, we had grand kids and now she won't ride at all saying she has a greater purpose. Saved me alot of $.
Exactly, there's only a 1 in 3 chance she'll be on the Sporty in a year anyway.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:16 PM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If she can find neutral on one of those MSF bikes she'll be able to find it on anything.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:28 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by psyco1
If she can find neutral on one of those MSF bikes she'll be able to find it on anything.
And shifting to second without it getting stuck in N is the other mile marker. My MSF bike was a POS! You know your wife, not anyone else here. I think riding my sportster before I took the class was a huge benefit. Those who hadn't drivin a stick were really struggling the first day.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly Scott and thanks..

I do know her.. and as I mentioned before... I ride with a guy who taught the course for years as a part time job.. and with two female friends who never previously rode and who both took the course cold.. Obviously I want to give her the best chance at learning correctly and enjoying the experience.. and I think for her, after talking with the people we talked with, getting on the bike before the class will be extremely helpful to her. As for the dropping the bike, I know she's going to at some point.. it's part of the learning process... and as several people suggested.. I do have an engine guard ordered. In the end, I think she'll be fine. If it turns out she likes the sporty.. we're good. If she decided to move up, that's cool because I get a second bike to ride from time to time.. and if she decides not to stick with it.. that means I have a sporty and a very nice road king to trade toward a new ultra..

Again, thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and for all the well wishes.. see y'all on the road

mavrick

Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Your call on rather to let her on before the class, worked well for us to let her learn on the little 250's the basics and there was none of that "husband to wife" selective hearing.

+1 on the checking of the mirrors constantly!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

My wife will be taking the class this spring. When we bought her bike last fall, I taught her some of the beginning basics like the class does. She first learned to duck walk the bike (with power off) to get used to the weight and handling. Then she moved on to the "rocking the bike with the clutch" move to learn how the clutch feels. And then finally she learned to ride the bike a few hundred feet in first gear. She will pick the rest of the stuff up in the class in a few weeks.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I almost did the same thing when my wife decided she wanted to lern to ride last year. Looked at several bikes I thought would be 'good starters' her reply, you don't ride no rice and I won't either'.Sealed that. Bought her a 1200 low Sporty and was gonna get her used to it. Decided not to. Took the MSF basic rider course with her and let the instructors teach her. Guess what? She has become one of the best riders for a first timer I have seen!. No thanks to me except for moral support which , as it turns out, is all she wanted from me!
Good luck and ride safe