General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what bikes, other than HD, do u like? why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what bikes, other than HD, do u like? why?

i like HDs cause as mentioned here, they have a soul.

i might throw other bikes like triumph, indian in there. but HD still has the most soul.

went to the chicago show last sunday and saw some motto guzzi's. like them also.

i think mostly i like the real bike look. like let me see the engine. if i can't see the engine, then it looks like a jetson thing.

find the buell interesting. has some neat concepts built in. but i think i like the ducatis better. a 1200 with around 190hp. incredible. cool styling.

there is something neat about the BMWs. seems like the real long distance trips - alaska to tierra del fuego - use BMWs. must be a reason why. but they alos look a little utilitarian and almost weird.

hondas are good bikes overall. but here again, i like the HD lookalikes and for that i might as well get an HD.

the rest don't impress me per se. but if i didn't have the bucks for the HD, then i would go for the cheaper suzuki.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I like BMWs because they're reliable and comfortable touring bikes with good resale value.

I like Moto Guzzis too, but their dealer base is shrinking. Rose Farm Classics (Woodstock, IL) is the only full service dealer I'm aware of in the Chicago area. There's a car dealer in Joliet that sells Guzzis. I don't know much about them and neither does anyone else I've asked.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like machinery period. If it is mechanical --I am fascinated. I would probably only own HD's if I was limited in what I could own. Like a lot of the different bikes. Grew up around the Brit twins but there were always HD's there too.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:48 PM
Slaps
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bikes are like guns I guess. I like all of them just some more then others.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I love all bikes also,but have learned I don't keep any of the others very long,end up losing money on them when I get rid of them,I'm just a Harley guy,took my wife to figure that out for me.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
OrdinaryJoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll like any bike as long as it isn't a race replica, or a 4-cylinder.

- race replica : trying too hard, and mostly aimed at people who think they are a professional pilot and 180 bhp isn't quite enough for their immense talent.
- 4-cylinder : never got used to the way those engines rev and have no character.

But 1, 2, 3 cylinder bikes, gimme !

Old 02-11-2009, 02:33 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a short list of bikes that I want. They are:

1. Nightster. For those around town and fun little trips without the wife.
2. Dyna. For longer trips and carrying the wife around when she insists.
3. Ultra Classic. For the really long trips that the wife and I want to take.
4. Kawasaki KLR650. For those times I want to feel like a teenager again and tear up some back roads and trails.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

If I could only have one, it would be a Harley. If I could have them all...I would.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My favorite motorcycles are the ones that burn gasoline. If it's machinery, I probably like it, though I like some more than others.

I'll always like the 80's Hondas, especially the Nighthawks, Magnas, and CX650's. They looked good and weren't obvious knockoffs of anyone else's bikes. Same with the original Valkyrie. Gorgeous bike that didn't try to mimic anyone else's design.

The Guzzis are fun too. Again, they are their own bike.

I really like the new Triumphs too, especially the twins, but even the sportbikes are interesting. Yes, the twins are retro, but at least they're copying themselves instead of trying to look like some other company's bikes.

There are a host of other bikes that I think are cool, Honda's CBX (an inline 6 in a motorcycle?!) will always stand out too, but the bikes above are where my interest lies outside of Harleys.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

I like motorcycles.... I like the sound of just about EVERY engine I hear... or maybe the exhaust? There's a bike gathering each week, and some guy with a Ducati and aftermarkets pipes has the sweetest sound you've heard.... After i win the Lotto, I intend to build a cruiser out of one...
Then there's the crackle of a well tuned 4 cyclinder that's been "tweeked"
Ever hear a gold wing with drag pipes? well I have.... man that's got some POP to it...
Pretty much, if it has 2 wheels, it's pretty cool....I don't have the money to buy EVERYTHING I want, and I wouldn't have the time to ride them, if I could.

Quick Reply: what bikes, other than HD, do u like? why?