General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to know if SERT is installed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
raaaaaa
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first he wont get away with it. the dealer goes through that bike with a fine tooth comme. you think the dealer will take a bike that potentially has a cracked head, cause that is what the symptoms will look like.

on the other hand do you think someone buys a bike from the dealer and gets on it and it runs like crap, he turns around and goes back and the dealer is going to shrug his shoulders?

c'mon people

Originally Posted by King Crimson
I can't believe you guys. The dealer will wind up selling the bike as is and some poor sucker will wind up buying an out of tune bike. You're doing harm to the buyer, not the dealer. Dealer won't give a damn. And you'll have a SERT that is worthless to you. Makes no sense to screw someone over like that.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cracked head? What cracked head?
Originally Posted by raaaaaa
first he wont get away with it. the dealer goes through that bike with a fine tooth comme. you think the dealer will take a bike that potentially has a cracked head, cause that is what the symptoms will look like.

on the other hand do you think someone buys a bike from the dealer and gets on it and it runs like crap, he turns around and goes back and the dealer is going to shrug his shoulders?

c'mon people

Old 02-12-2009, 05:10 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What makes you think if he gives the dealer his SERT, the dealer won't sell the next owner a new SERT anyway.

you best bet on any trade in is to strip the bike back to stock and sell your stuff on ebay. I know the SERT is married to the bike, all the other stuff i would sell!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:10 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Cracked head? What cracked head?
Psst, OAB, Me thinx he was jus' usin' that as a zample.
He's just sayin' the dealer is gonna go over it with a fine toothed comb, OOPS, comme.

Me? The SERT would go to the dealer with the scoot. IF the dealer wants to go thru the Nightster, and recal because of uncertainty to them and new buyer, so be it. But I did the right thing.
For some reason, we want to be treated 'right' by dealers, indys, sellers, etc., IT has to start at home, before it can come home. Jus' my .02

To quote Johnny Meyer (Dad), "A man with 'good character' is a man who does what is right, when doing what is right, is the hardest thing to do."
Not to hard to remember. And purdy e-z to live with.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 AM
fliphd
Tourer
Location: West central Illinois in the Mississippi river bottoms
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me it would go with the scooter.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I sold or traded my bike, which has a SERT, there would be no question, the dongle would go with the bike... along with the dyno tune graph and any receipts. Why hold back on stuff that you can't use? If the dealer wants to screw the next guy buying, that's not my problem. At least I could sleep well at night, knowing I did the right thing.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:33 AM
USA1HD1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06DEUCE
What makes you think if he gives the dealer his SERT, the dealer won't sell the next owner a new SERT anyway.

you best bet on any trade in is to strip the bike back to stock and sell your stuff on ebay. I know the SERT is married to the bike, all the other stuff i would sell!
Thats exactly What I'm gona do ,To clear up a few questions the 3 dealers around my area WILL NOT give one more cent for anything left on the bike. They all said we are doing you a favor to give you full MSRP for your bike. I hate to give up that SERT but I will as I know it wound't do me any good.
I just hope the dealer will be HONEST and not charge the new owner for the SERT I paid a total of $825.00 for ,the SERT and Dyno tune the new owner should be happy with 80-HP.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:43 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the SERT is married to the bike it is a selling point for a prospective buyer. If the bike has Stage I it would be listed and the "dongle" or whatever that thing is they gave me would be part of the package.

Our dealer does a lot of Stage I upgrades on new bikes and the SERT piece is clearly visible hanging on the handlebar or stuffed in the saddlebag on the touring models. As a buyer, it is a major selling point.

I don't think a dealer would be well-served to take a SERT off a used bike when, if a buyer takes it out for a ride and it backfires everytime they let off the throttle, they aren't likely to buy the bike.