General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to know if SERT is installed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
King Crimson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1HD1
This brings up a decision I gona have to make in a few weeks. I have a 08 Nightster with a SERT Pro Tuner, I'm going to do the buy back for a Fat Bob. I will get NOTHING for my $525.00 SERT .Do I be a nice guy and give the module with the bike?
My gut tells me no I would love to leave a hidden note to the next owner to call me and I would sell him the module for a couple hundred bucks. So just becouse ya don't get a module with a used bike and they tell ya it's got a SERT it may have one...

Leave a note??? I wouldn't want to buy anything from you.
Have you ever heard of disclosure when selling something? Everything needs to be discussed and agreed to at point of sale.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer can use digital technician to read the calibration id off the bike.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
USA1HD1
Tourer

Originally Posted by King Crimson
Leave a note??? I wouldn't want to buy anything from you.
Have you ever heard of disclosure when selling something? Everything needs to be discussed and agreed to at point of sale.
Not selling I'm trading in ! Like you never in ya life not traded a car or a bike in to a dealer and not gave up information about that little somthing that might need fixed ya right! When I sell to a private I do tell everything it's just right thing to do.
I did ask should I be a nice guy & give it up at trade in...

Don't crucify me yet...

Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master

i traded in a car and did not give them the extra ignition key, arn't I a devil?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain

If the dealer is not willing to give you extra for your SERT. keep it!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1HD1
Not selling I'm trading in ! Like you never in ya life not traded a car or a bike in to a dealer and not gave up information about that little somthing that might need fixed ya right! When I sell to a private I do tell everything it's just right thing to do.
I did ask should I be a nice guy & give it up at trade in...

Don't crucify me yet...
You can ask them but chances are the dealer will want to sell the next guy a new SEST. Tape a note under the seat or inside the fusebox cover or both.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:44 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
You can ask them but chances are the dealer will want to sell the next guy a new SEST. Tape a note under the seat or inside the fusebox cover or both.
Where the mechanic will find it when he's installing the new SERT for the new owner.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

I can't believe you guys. The dealer will wind up selling the bike as is and some poor sucker will wind up buying an out of tune bike. You're doing harm to the buyer, not the dealer. Dealer won't give a damn. And you'll have a SERT that is worthless to you. Makes no sense to screw someone over like that.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say let it go with the bike. Might help the new owner, whoever that ends up being since you're trading it in. You can't use it on the new one anyway, as you know. Did you ask the dealer if they'd maybe give you a partial credit on a SEST for your new bike if you included it in the deal?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

The bike would not be out of tune unless it was changed since they tuned it with the SERT. If the new owner makes any pipe or intake changes --he might should consider reflashing it anyway. I myself always talk to a previous owner anyway to inquire about any issues or changes the bike has or had done to it. I see no one screwing over anyone. You assume the dealer will give the new buyer on this trade in bike the SERT if it is given to the dealer during the bike exchange. I have no proof that a dealer or sales person would hand over the SERT that is married to this bike.
Originally Posted by King Crimson
I can't believe you guys. The dealer will wind up selling the bike as is and some poor sucker will wind up buying an out of tune bike. You're doing harm to the buyer, not the dealer. Dealer won't give a damn. And you'll have a SERT that is worthless to you. Makes no sense to screw someone over like that.

Quick Reply: How to know if SERT is installed?