General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike SECURITY

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:01 PM
roadkill0000
|
Cruiser
Exclamation Bike SECURITY

I need to make my bike secure, especially with the economy the way it is. im in and out of extremely populated and high crime areas every day, and own a pristine sparkly bike. I always ride around with a mini tour bag so I can bring along some security devices... which ones to get is the question.

Chains - here in nyc its easy for some people to lift ur bike into a truck and be gone. Which brand makes a really bad *** chain?

Locks - for the chain. Im unfamiliar with them, I know some are included with the chain itself. whats considered the best?

disc locks - if I have the bike already strapped to a pole with a chain, can I go without this?

cover - looking for 1 that is brand-less, is vented to let trapped moisture out and keep rain out/ and some heat resistance for hot pipes.

alrams - there's 1 im particularly interested in. I want to connect it to the bike cover so if its tampered w/ it will not only sound off an alarm but send a TXT message to my phone.

if you have any of the answers to the ones above, or any other solutions let me know.

Thanks for helping me keep my bike from getting stolen!

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:07 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

Best security is to dont leave ure scoot and have a .357 handy.. Not sure whats its called in the USA,,, a GPS tracking system that sends a signal as soon as bike is moved without ignition being on.. company here is called Boomerang. I think this is best option..

can put a circuit to charge bike to 50 000volts but then ure going to hear it from a lawyer...

i have the HD pager if alarm goes on and disk lock with visual cord to handlebar. if they really want it.. they will take it.. good insurance also keeps peace of mind..

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:07 PM
bcox
Road Master

Buy a gun....

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:12 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Lightbulb

I would look for a place that is out of sight. Remove the opportunity for theft. Locks and such help but all it takes is a bolt cutter and a hoist and they still get it.

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:26 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Unfortunately if someone wants your bike bad enough they'll probably get it or tare it up trying. I know of an incident where the crooks tried dragging a bike to brake the disc lock, after they seriously damaged the bike they ditched it and fled. I have a disc lock I use on trips and try to park the bike in front of the business/hotel I'm at. The GPS tracker/notifier is probably a good option if you got the money.

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:37 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior

Your best bet is good insurance. As others have said, if someone wants your bike bad enough they'll get it... and it won't take longer than a couple of minutes.

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:41 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadkill0000
Thanks for helping me keep my bike from getting stolen!
Drive a car when you think your "pristine sparkly bike" may be stolen.

Personally, if I had a "pristine sparkly bike" I'd hope it be stolen.

But that's just me.

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:52 PM
5speedblu
Road Captain

yep I seen my friends bike get picked up & thrown into a van b/4 we could get out of he bar they were gone.

like jbphoto said insurance is the best way. or you could move!!!!

Old 02-10-2009 | 12:06 AM
northharley
6th Gear

unfortunate bikes are easier to take than cars... too bad it's illegal to have it electrically charged so if someone touches they fry like a bug.

Old 02-10-2009 | 01:24 AM
Wrench53
Cruiser

Lo-Jack, won't stop them from taking it but they'll have a nice surprise in a couple of hours!!

Quick Reply: Bike SECURITY