General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike SECURITY

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010 | 08:29 PM
Hot_Pasta
Cruiser

I use two chains to lock the front and rear wheels to the frame. If the chain is 10 inches from the ground is not easy to cut it.
Indeed get a insurace if your bike is new or costs more than 9K dollars.
No weapons or murders ...
Don't you pay taxes? So just call the police and they will do their job. To each his own.

Old 10-07-2010 | 09:42 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by softailfla80
Yea...I had a marine grade lock and cable on my last bike...didn't seem to stop them from taking my bike...also had an alarm...that didn't stop them either. The alarm could have been deactivated I guess if they knew what they were doing and cut the power quickly. My GPS Tracker is unmarked, small and has built in battery also....it is also stashed out of site and out of reach. It seems like they thought of everything but there will be someone on here that thinks they have a way to beat it....LOL...I just don't tell anyone i have it and I feel pretty secure now. I sure don't want to deal with Insurance Company again either
An alarm and forklock alone aint gonna save 1, if they want it bad 'nuff....This dude's the head of the service dept. at the dealer I use/frequent......yesterday he had a baaaddd day......have'nt talk'd to him yet, but can't imagine he just walk'd in and not "secure" his ride....

http://www.wave3.com/story/13280706/...edirected=true

Old 10-08-2010 | 12:14 AM
Bert Man
Intermediate

Many good suggestions here. Thought of one more. How about mounting an empty pistol holster on the bike in full view. Bad guy has to be a little nervous wondering when the biker with the gun will return.

Old 10-08-2010 | 12:46 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Best security you have for your bike is not being an idiot and riding into areas know for bad behavior only takes about 30 seconds tops buddy and it's gone , all the locks , chains , cables doesn't matter if they want it . So all your txt mes. is going to tell you is call your insurance agent .

Guy lost his bike out of his front yard not 3 mins. after he pulled up and walked inside . Lives about 4 blks from me , I suspect they just followed him home from the local show off bar it's what most do anymore .

Old 10-08-2010 | 01:14 AM
girlster8015
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Danall
Overnight is it better to empty hard bags and leave them open so crooks see them empty but easier to steal, or locked and have them brake open?
No, we just bring the bikes into the hotel/motel !

Old 10-08-2010 | 04:55 AM
GrimmRider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hot_Pasta
I use two chains to lock the front and rear wheels to the frame. If the chain is 10 inches from the ground is not easy to cut it.
Indeed get a insurace if your bike is new or costs more than 9K dollars.
Don't you pay taxes? So just call the police and they will do their job. To each his own.
Living under your train of thought the cops would have already prevented the theft. Good luck with that.

Old 10-08-2010 | 09:17 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

A lock isn't going to help you unless you lock it TO something. They simply drive up beside your bike in a truck with a cherry picker, throw a sling under the bike, pick it up and drive away. They have it in 10 seconds.

Old 10-08-2010 | 09:20 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Good insurance and sleep easy...anything else will just slow the thief down, if they want your bike is gone regardless of the security

Old 10-08-2010 | 10:56 AM
softailfla80
Intermediate

Insurance..Insurance....do you really think most of them care about getting your bike back unharmed...all they want to do is figure a way to pay you the least amount possible if a theft happens....then wait for who knows how long for your $$$$$$....deductable....any add ons that insuarnce will not pay for, etc...I don't know about others here as my bike surely is not the nicest and most valuable here, but I have about $20,000 in my bike and I want to do whatever I can to protect it. I care more about it than any insurance comapny or any cop ....NOBODY else cares more about your property than YOU...period !!!
I guess if you are like me and have had a theft before you do what you can to prevent it from happening again....I have a GPS Tracker and feel like if anyone takes my bike I can find it quickly. It also texts and emails me in seconds if it is moved.....to each his own...I feel pretty safe and thats what matters to me.....some good comments here though......

Old 10-08-2010 | 11:51 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Agree with the "if they want it they'll take it" comments. But short of that, park near bikes that are more desirable than yours. Secure it to something stationary, and make sure the "something" can't be sawed or cut (I've heard stories of telephone pole being cut down). Rotor locks, etc will stop it from being rolled, but won't help if 4 guys can quickly lift it with a bar through the wheels and carry it away.

Originally Posted by Hot_Pasta
Don't you pay taxes? So just call the police and they will do their job.

"Poor deluded child..." ----Adam West as Batman

Last edited by Sharknose; 10-08-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Bike SECURITY