General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike SECURITY

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009 | 12:31 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whats the purpose of livin in them areas>>??

I can answer,,NONE!!!!

Old 02-21-2009 | 03:06 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Place 10 pounds of military grade C4 explosive under the seat and wire it to the alarm system. If anyone messes with your bike, it'll be their last time!
Keep your insurance up to date as well, so you can get a replacement.

Old 02-21-2009 | 03:45 PM
cpbiw
Novice

check out xena lock. Their disk locks have an 110 db alarm that goes off if someone tries to take it off. That and if you forget to take it off you have a loud reminder that you almost screwed up. I also have a Dowco Guardian cover. Vented, waterproof, even has a pocket to attach another alarm. http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

Old 02-21-2009 | 04:00 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master

I saw this in a motorcycle rag. I do not know anything about it but it sounds good.

www.blacklinegps.com

Old 10-07-2010 | 10:23 AM
softailfla80
Intermediate

Just started here and wow...never relized what the posts would be like. I looked at the link above for GPS Security and found that to be odd as they put there name and what it is right on the box......makes no sense to me which is one reason why when I researched one I chose a company that seemed to think it all thru and does not mark their box..it looks like a auto relay, black plastic unmarked box and very small ..hidden out of site and works very good for me......good luck guys....having a bike stolen is never a good feelin...I know and don't plan on it happening again

Old 10-07-2010 | 11:53 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I have a stainless interlocked covered cable system called Cobra lock. This lock and cable system is heavy. It can probably be defeated but not without destroying the bike and taking some time. I would also install a alarm paging system. Lock slows them down and alarm lets me know they are tampering with the bike. I live in Texas where there is an abundance of weapons with people willing to defend life and property.

Old 10-07-2010 | 12:15 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

When I'm near home I let the insurance company worry about my bike. But on roadtrips I don't like the idea of being stranded 500 miles from home so I take extra precautions.

Always cover the bike to get the goodies out of site. I use a Kryptonite Forgetaboutit chain and lock and the Roadlok front disk lock.

The chain and lock weigh 11lbs but don't take up much room in my tourpak. I think Abus makes an even better and more $$ chain/lock but I went with the less expensive alternative.

The Roadlok is conveniently mounted on the bike and very simple to use. It's pricey but very well made and secure. Only way anyone is getting the bike is if they carry it away.

It's all about layered protection in my book. There are no guarantees but the idea is to make YOUR bike a less attractive target.

I don't like alarms because of the false alarm nuisance factor. Though I have to say my buddies who have the factory systems say they've never had a problem with that.

I did try a new idea out on our last roadtrip. I got one of those cheap $12 driveway alerts from HF. Stuck the motion sensor in my tourpak and the receiver in our hotel room. Poor man's alarm system. What can I say, the wife was impressed.

Attached Thumbnails Bike SECURITY-img_6401.jpg   Bike SECURITY-img_4189.jpg  
Old 10-07-2010 | 02:02 PM
softailfla80
Intermediate

Yea...I had a marine grade lock and cable on my last bike...didn't seem to stop them from taking my bike...also had an alarm...that didn't stop them either. The alarm could have been deactivated I guess if they knew what they were doing and cut the power quickly. My GPS Tracker is unmarked, small and has built in battery also....it is also stashed out of site and out of reach. It seems like they thought of everything but there will be someone on here that thinks they have a way to beat it....LOL...I just don't tell anyone i have it and I feel pretty secure now. I sure don't want to deal with Insurance Company again either

Old 10-07-2010 | 04:51 PM
redmonster13
Road Captain

Just my 2 cents, lojack or some sort of gps based system is probably your best bet.

Old 10-07-2010 | 07:16 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

I hope that if my bike is ever stolen the police never find it. I'll take the insurance and the money I've saved by not having gps or lojack and buy a new bike .

Quick Reply: Bike SECURITY