General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike SECURITY

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:33 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior

I use disc locks (front and rear) and if I will be away from the bike for an extended period, I use a cable lock (to a post or another bike if I am with another rider). Agree that thieves will find a way to steal a bike regardless of precautions. I am hoping that the locks will make my bike a LESS attractive target

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:42 AM
sbergloff
Road Captain

I have lojack on mine. You get a text message/phone call/email if it moves, and the police can track it down. It's a one time $600 cost to install it, and that's it. I would highly recommend it, if it's offered in your area.

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:44 AM
Chief X
Former Sponsor

Be sure to check out RoadLoK. www.roadlok.com but like the others have said, "if someone wants it bad enough, they will surely get it". If you like what you see on our website, don't order on-line, call me and I'll hook ya up with a discount! 1-888-ROADLOK.

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:45 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

I would have thought a gun is only really any good if you are there when they try to nick it mate and shooting someone is still against the law here in the UK as it is I guess most everywhere else - other than that as the others say get good insurance and the alarms, locks and stuff only really help reduce the premiums.

Old 02-10-2009 | 09:54 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Take a cab.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:08 AM
DMcBiker
Cruiser

Insurance is always the best. I also like the idea of a chain or cable to a post or another bike. My Insurance agent told me Harleys are so expensive to insure because of the theft problem with Harleys in particular.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:41 AM
Adacas
Cruiser

1) Use a 1/2" cable, not chain, its much more difficult to cut cable with bolt cutters. That leaves the padlock vunerable so position it in amongst all that metal underneath or something so as bolt cutters can't get near it.

2) Never leave it outside in the driveway overnight where someone can see it, and study it, and calculate how they will get it, like they did the motor on back of my boat.

3) Install security siren, it is unlikely someone will remain in the area trying to free the motorcyle while the alarm is screaming.

4) Get a good insurance policy that buys you a brand new sickle if this one grows legs.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2009 | 12:39 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master

To repeat what others have said, if someone really wants it they are going to take it. If you are going to chain or cable the bike, you'll need to find something immovable to anchor it to. Otherwise, it only takes 4 big guys with steel bars to tip your bike into a waiting van with a mattress on the floor. Cables are definitely harder to cut than most chains, but do your research on the lock you chose. I've seen videos on you tube of a cable lock being picked with a Bic pen.

A disc lock works great to keep someone from rolling the bike away. If you get one, select an obvious (i.e. bright) color. I saw a guy at Daytona forget that his chrome disc lock was on the bike, and he trashed the bike as he tried to drive away with the lock on and tipped the bike over.

Old 02-10-2009 | 01:58 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

A friends brother lost his harley while it was chained to a cement parking barricade. They stole the barricade too. They figure a truck with a cherry picker just picked up the bike and barricade and swung the whole thing into a truck.

By the way, HD has a security system with a siren and a pager. If somone moves the bike you'll get a page, and the siern will be going crazy as well.

Old 02-10-2009 | 02:09 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

If you get a cover that says "HONDA" on it, they won't touch it.

Quick Reply: Bike SECURITY