General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty...yes, no, how long

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Todd Vikan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty...yes, no, how long

What do you think. Worth the investment? If so, how long a warranty period beyond factory original?

Todd

Old 04-06-2005, 11:17 PM
hawk
Road Master
Default RE: Extended Warranty...yes, no, how long

I have never thought an extended warranty was worth what it cost,Put a few bucks a month in a scooter fund and if it breaks you have the jack to take care of it

Old 04-06-2005, 11:47 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the extended warrentee, 5 years on top of the regular 2, but only because the dealer said they would drop the APR on the loan down to pay for it, THEY have control over the percentage rate you get charged so you can deal on it. The dealer gets money for selling at a higher inerest rate, but they also get money for selling the warrentee, so they can trade it off in your favor. At least that is what the finance guy told me.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:18 AM
skywagon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cancelled mine, got a check from warrentee company for 730 and a check from the stealer for 970. guess what the stea;ler was to make 970 on the deal. what a friggan joke. they also charge 50 per repair also. bank the money and pay as you go.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,915 Likes on 816 Posts

I got the 5 year extra (total of 7 years). The interest rate dropped enough to cover the cost, so essentially it's free for me.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-07-2005, 05:45 AM
whiplush
Tourer

They tried to pull that crap on me and I laughed at em, told em' I'd just get a loan from the bank figuring they'd change their tune but they stuck to their guns. They told me like 10% with no ext warranty and 6.25% with it, I got it from the bank for 6.75% for 5 years. The bank also seperated my taxes into another loan for me which I paid off in a month so I got a lower payment on the bike in the long run. Worked out really good for me in my mind, so don't spoil it for me.

The moral of the story is, check with the bank if you don't want the warranty crammed down your throat.[:'(]

Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 AM
nmfxstc
Road Master

I went 2 years beyond factory warranty...and the APR dropped to 4.9% versus 6%

Old 04-07-2005, 10:41 AM
grumpygit
Tourer

Just as a matter of interest, how much do they charge for an extended warranty? I wasn't offered one with my bike. I suspect its not an insignificant sum.

The way I look at these things is, they sell them to make extra profit. Therefore, on average they have to pay out less in claims than they charge. That means that you are unlikely to benefit from it. Of course, you could have a major failure and then you'd be laughin'. My view is if there is a manufacturing defect then you are likely to find it within the 12 months warranty period anyway, providing you make a reasonable mileage.

I reckon Hawk's got the best idea; its a win-win situation. You have money put away if ya need it. If ya don't need it, then you still have the money!

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 04-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

I paid cash for the bike. No extended warranty beyond the factory 2 years. If I don't trade it for a new one when the warranty expires then I'll fix whatever breaks when the time comes.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:55 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Phil

I paid cash for the bike. No extended warranty beyond the factory 2 years. If I don't trade it for a new one when the warranty expires then I'll fix whatever breaks when the time comes.
Ditto...

Ryan

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty...yes, no, how long