General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kick stand jiffy stand whatever..POS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:15 AM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default kick stand jiffy stand whatever..POS

am i the only one that thinks the harley kick stand is a bad design? everytime i put my bike on the stand it rolls foward a few inches and scares the hell out of me. it just looks like it wants to fall over. i have looked at how it works and realize it won't but still gives me a bad feeling watching it.. you know what i mean!!!! someone should come out with a better design and sell it to the aftermarket []

Old 04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: kick stand jiffy stand whatever..POS

If your bike roll foward the kickstand is not extended far enough forward. That's how I drop my bike because of the same reason. I went to the dealership and the tech show me how to prevent that from happening again and it has never happen again since. Before getting off your bike the extend the kick the kickstand to all the way to it stop and get off the bike. I thought the same thing I hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Fergusonic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I invented the Jiffy Stand back in 1931....and it's basic design is being used yet today. Of course,,,my memory ain't what it used to be ....the year may be off..........and I was born in '47......but...

Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not a bad design, it's a response to the fact that the old kickstands would allow the bike to roll off of the kickstand. You have to have confidence in the jiffy stand, when you deploy the stand, push it all of the way forward, hold it there with your foot, ease the bike over onto the stand, when it's completely on the stand, get off the bike. It may move forward a little, but it won't fall off. Park it with calm confidence. Do it right every time (practice) and you won't drop the bike. Get in a hurry, and you won't push it all of the forward and you will spill the bike. I've seen it done.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8977/E8A056780A324C4683C9D211DC627B70.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jiffy stand?? isn't Jiffy peanut butter?? theres your problem guys, your useing peanut butter to try to hold your Motorbikes up..myself I use the side-stand that came with the bike. Works all the time for me

Old 04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

Calm down DEUCE, your gonna blow a cork[:@]
I empathize with ya man. It does take some getting use to and it still makes me gasp occasionally. However, I've never dropped my bike using the Jiffy Stand and you already know how it works. Pretty much fool proof. I've got into the habit of intentionally rolling mine forward after putting it down. It's just my obsesive compulsion to insure it is locked into place.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
ORIGINAL: 06DEUCE

am i the only one that thinks the harley kick stand is a bad design? everytime i put my bike on the stand it rolls foward a few inches and scares the hell out of me. it just looks like it wants to fall over. i have looked at how it works and realize it won't but still gives me a bad feeling watching it.. you know what i mean!!!! someone should come out with a better design and sell it to the aftermarket []

Old 04-20-2006, 02:38 PM
2smoooth
Road Captain

Takes some getting used to.. however buttman is correct

Funny, the MoCo thinks they are helping us out with the design, but then our bikes slide forward and freak us out!

Old 04-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I always exercise great care when putting down the stand and don't have any problems with it. My thoughts have always been that a drop is more likely when parking the bike so I think being a little "worried" when putting the stand down is actually a good thing.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Ya know, if you leave the bike in gear when diploying the jiffy stand, it can't roll forward. Works for me!

Old 04-20-2006, 03:38 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

I think the jiffy stand (where did HD come up with that nane ? ) is a good design , just that us ex- metric riders are use to just flipping down a kickstand and walking away . Only problem is it is tucked away somewhat , a good thing I think . Generally I have lookk down for it when setting it down and continue to watch as I lean over the bike , watch the top of the stand slide in the groove and its a done deal . The one time I dropped it was when new ( of coarse ) thought the stand was all thew way set and got off . Bike came over in what seemed like slo-mo and rolled right up my right leg and pinned me up against my car . Good part was nothing but rubber touching the ground on my bike , learned a lesson the easy way ! Not sure how I lifted the bike back up in that position , the adrenelin must have been pumping big time , did have a sore leg for a couple of days .

Dan

Quick Reply: kick stand jiffy stand whatever..POS