General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Face Shield Halos

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:14 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Face Shield Halos

I bought a clear flip-down face shield for my helmet. Tonight was the 1st time I used it while driving in the dark. Every oncoming headlight had a halo around it and I found it somewhat difficult to see clearly. I was wearing my clear safety glasses underneath as well.

Here are your options:

1. They all do that, stop crying
2. Don't wear glasses with a faceshield
3. I bought junk, toss it and try again
4. I drank too much Mountain Dew and it's an after affect
5. Headlight angels

Last edited by homerandpooh; 02-09-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Forgot an option, thanks BUDWFO
Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
budwfo
Road Captain

My full face helmet does not do that, on another note, while riding with glasses on and a half helmet i get the halos thru the glasses...

Old 02-09-2009, 06:19 PM
budwfo
Road Captain

Sorry for the confusion, i did'nt use the options provided.

1&2 answers shall suffice for now.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer

Originally Posted by budwfo
My full face helmet does not do that, on another note, while riding with glasses on and a half helmet i get the halos thru the glasses...
I did have clear safety glasses on underneath, maybe that was the reason, I better add that as an option.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:41 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Take off the clears 1st. If that doesn't work, make sure you don't still have the plastic film protector of the faceshield. If that doesn't work, call the outfit that you bought it from. You may then have option 2.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer

Originally Posted by mtnlvr
Take off the clears 1st. If that doesn't work, make sure you don't still have the plastic film protector of the faceshield. If that doesn't work, call the outfit that you bought it from. You may then have option 2.
I will try again without the glasses. As far as there being a plastic covering, nope, peeled that off when I got it.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start by eliminating the safety glasses, and see what that does for you. Another option would be to flip the faceshield up (with the safety glasses on) and see what effect that has. You might have some luck with a yellow tinted shield. I've used lightly tinted yellow glasses for long distance night time driving, and it will cut some glare and at least eliminate some of the strain on your eyes.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2/4/5

Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

You might try a plastic polish such as Novus. It is available at most Harley dealers and works well for me. By the way I wear glasses under my full face and I do not get halos but I use Novus to clean and polish my helmets face shield. When I wear my half helmet I wear goggles with amber lenses over my glasses. I also polish them with Novus and no halo.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
homerandpooh
Tourer

Originally Posted by firefighter3666
I'd start by eliminating the safety glasses, and see what that does for you. Another option would be to flip the faceshield up (with the safety glasses on) and see what effect that has. You might have some luck with a yellow tinted shield. I've used lightly tinted yellow glasses for long distance night time driving, and it will cut some glare and at least eliminate some of the strain on your eyes.
I flip the shield up at every red light (helps reduce fogging) and leave the glasses on and I don't get a halo.

I was told by the PO-Leese that it's illegal to wear anything other than clear lenses/face shield at night here in "The Free State". Personally I like amber lenses for both day and night but I'd rather not get the hassle.

I will try the no glasses route and see if that works. Baltimore HOG has an evening ride this Friday and I planned on joining that. I guess I better figure something out before then, or its balaclava face-meets cold air again.

Quick Reply: Face Shield Halos