General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aarp motorcycle insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aarp motorcycle insurance

Have been told that AARP is pretty good. What are your thoughts?
At this time we have American Family Insurance for all of Insurance needs. But you should always look at your options.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Thankfully I don't meet their age requirements yet.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:49 PM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The worst part about AARP insurance is admitting you're old enough to get it... I think I'm still just shy...

Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by H20DOG
Have been told that AARP is pretty good. What are your thoughts?
At this time we have American Family Insurance for all of Insurance needs. But you should always look at your options.

It's mostly BS!! Don't waste your money! I joined just because of all the crap they claimed on insurance discounts. I got quotes on my Harley, cars and home and they were ALL twice to three times what I was already paying!

Example: My 2008 Harley is currently insured with Geico for $498 a year, no tickets, no wrecks, and good credit. AARP's carrier came in at $788 a year for the exact same coverage limits.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:56 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

If they conduct their insurance in the same manner as their living trusts,avoid them like the plague!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:51 PM
shy1
Cruiser

Checked out AARP a few years ago, I think they were insuring through Foremost. Also checked Geico about the same time. Progressive was more competitive than both of them.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
57springer57
Road Captain

sounds like aarp is a ripoff

Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Ghosty
Tourer

AARP is interested in one thing ... your money. They are an advocate for strict gun control and usually support the Brady gun confiscation bills. As far as I'm concerned they are an anti-America organization that is in business to rip off senior citizens.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:02 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Sorry this is a little off subject, but I have learned that when it come to insurance, there are so many variables they use for the quote, that there is no way anyone can compare unless they have exactly the same "everything".

Example, a person the same age, same bike, same credit rating, pretty much the same everything EXCEPT they live in different areas, the quote will be different.

The best thing to do to get the best price for yourself is to just shop around. I recently shopped around and was supprised at the huge difference between companies, I'm talking as much as double.

I got quotes from about 10 or 12 different companies with Geico being the cheapest and State Farm being almost double. But I decided to stay with Formost, they were NOT the cheapest but they were excellent to deal with when I had my recent accident. That is worth something to me.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frankjake
Sorry this is a little off subject, but I have learned that when it come to insurance, there are so many variables they use for the quote, that there is no way anyone can compare unless they have exactly the same "everything".

Example, a person the same age, same bike, same credit rating, pretty much the same everything EXCEPT they live in different areas, the quote will be different.

The best thing to do to get the best price for yourself is to just shop around. I recently shopped around and was supprised at the huge difference between companies, I'm talking as much as double.

I got quotes from about 10 or 12 different companies with Geico being the cheapest and State Farm being almost double. But I decided to stay with Formost, they were NOT the cheapest but they were excellent to deal with when I had my recent accident. That is worth something to me.
We all realize that but that is not what he is asking. He is asking directly about what effect being an AARP Member has on it's insurance endorsed carriers and that is what we are telling him. The fact that everbody's rate may be different is true, but again we are talking directly about AARP and my quote that I gave him is Apples to Apples because it is me, the same circumstances comparing AARP Ins to a no AARP Ins and it shows the rate differences to the same person.

Quick Reply: Aarp motorcycle insurance