General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aarp motorcycle insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:19 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I am a member of AARP, but their insurance stuff is just a way for the organization to fund itself. It is an endorsement, nothing more. I've checked out most of their insurance offers,including Medicare plans, and they have always been expensive and not the best coverage either. I stick with State Farm. Sometimes they are 20-30 bucks higher but I also value long term customer service, and they've been great on that.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm retired and those clowns at AARP have been sending me literature for years...I have yet to see a single offering from them, insurance or otherwise, that I couldn't easily beat on my own...hell of a racket they've got going there...http://www.dogpile.com/clickserver/_...Url=true...and here's a link to a list of organizations supporting more gun control legislation...guess who heads the list? AARP

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 02-10-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just before I hit 50 the AARP blitzkrieg of advertisements began. It is an impressive marketing campaign, and it got me interested. I contacted them about my auto, bike, and life insurance. The quote on auto was $700 more than my current 6 month rate. The bike insurance almost twice the price. Needless to say I didn't switch.

If you do a little research you'll find that AARP does not actually issue the insurance they sell. What AARP does do is collect the premiums, then invest those in short-term securities, before eventually sending the premium on to the insurance company. This is all on the up and up, and the insurance companies agree to these terms in order to get the "good name" of the AARP behind their products. The AARP reported that they netted more than $30 million in profit from this tactic alone.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
I am a member of AARP, but their insurance stuff is just a way for the organization to fund itself. It is an endorsement, nothing more. I've checked out most of their insurance offers,including Medicare plans, and they have always been expensive and not the best coverage either. I stick with State Farm. Sometimes they are 20-30 bucks higher but I also value long term customer service, and they've been great on that.
+! I was a Member of AARP for a couple of years. Its all about money with them. There Auto Ins. Quote was $300 Bucks less for 2Cars &2Pickups . The Guy on the phone thought he was giving me a good deal I told him no thanks. Ive had State Farm for over 18years Home Cars Bikes. Might cost a little more then others but the coverage is better. The SF Agent is on a first name bases with my famley. Can call any time with our insurance needs or drop by his office to add or delete a Car truck or Bike. Can do busness in person. Phone talk is cheep. In my view AARP is all about selling and indorsing **** that pertains to baby bommers. They come across that there looking out for the 50 and above age group. All I got was mail ad's on Insurance people to invest my money which I don't have to invest and if I did Id make my own mistakes. Ill stick with State Farm. Did not Know they were Anti Gun F**K Them.

Last edited by carlo; 02-10-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosty
AARP is interested in one thing ... your money. They are an advocate for strict gun control and usually support the Brady gun confiscation bills. As far as I'm concerned they are an anti-America organization that is in business to rip off senior citizens.
Thanks for the info did not know this. I,ll pass it on. At my Gun club.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank everyone for their input. It looks like I will stick with what I have. If AARP is for Gun control, then they are not any friends of mine. Cus' I was just thinking last night that I wish I had not sold my 38 special.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,333 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Pig
It's mostly BS!! Don't waste your money! I joined just because of all the crap they claimed on insurance discounts. I got quotes on my Harley, cars and home and they were ALL twice to three times what I was already paying!

Example: My 2008 Harley is currently insured with Geico for $498 a year, no tickets, no wrecks, and good credit. AARP's carrier came in at $788 a year for the exact same coverage limits.
Ditto...I had them give me a quote on my '03 Z06 Vette and my '08 Silverado PU. It was a bit lower, but not enough difference for me to leave my State Farm agent that I've been with for over 10 years and her office is 5 min. from my house.

I'm not renewing my membership with AARP, it's a waste of time imo. They also turned me down for health care coverage because I'm a smoker...they can kiss my a$$.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

There are a few principles that I always adhere to: I never spend my travel dollars in states that infringe on my constitutional rights (15 to date) and I never, ever give an anti-constitutional organization like AARP money either.

Screw AARP.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
I'm retired and those clowns at AARP have been sending me literature for years...I have yet to see a single offering from them, insurance or otherwise, that I couldn't easily beat on my own...hell of a racket they've got going there...http://www.dogpile.com/clickserver/_...Url=true...and here's a link to a list of organizations supporting more gun control legislation...guess who heads the list? AARP
Their political viewpoint is the main reason I will never join their organization. Won't help them fund anything.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I won't give a penny to AARP. Leftist gun control swine.

Quick Reply: Aarp motorcycle insurance