General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't afford a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:21 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can't afford a Harley

Hummmm,....... If you can afford a new VTX 1300,... You can definately afford a Harley. Matter of fact a new sportster will cost ya less or you could get a nice used Superglide for that price range. My out the door price for my 06 FXDI was $13,580, and I have seen nice used Dynas for around 10K and even under,.just depends on the amount of extras on it. Take a look at www.cycletrader.com and it will give you a real feel for prices in your area. I dont have a problem with any of the metric bikes. I really love the Crotch rockets and have owned a few,..... but I wouldnt own a metric cruiser. I know that sounds silly, but I would also not own a wanna be crotch rocket either. But all i'm saying is that if you are actually that close to being able to own a Harley,....and if its a Harley that ya really want,.....I would suggest consider a used Harley and maybe wait just a little until you can get the bike that you really want. My FXDI that I have ordered will be my first Harley. I have wanted one for a good while, and have been able to buy one for awhile now, but I decided since it was just a toy for me that I would wait until I could pay cash for it. So thats what I did. And man the wait is killing me,..............I ordered my Dyna on feb, 22nd, but my baby is supposed to be shipped by May, 12th.

John

Old 04-20-2006, 02:25 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 23. The year was 1985. I couldn't afford it then either.
Back then, Harley had an add campaign that went something like " If you have to justify it, it ain't for you ". I kinda took that to heart and took the plunge. Bought a 1974 AMC Hornet station wagon for $400.00 for the times I needed a cage and paid $242.62 a month for 4 years to own a Harley. I never looked back.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-20-2006, 02:55 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don’t you start with a Sportster and work you way up to a bigger Harley-Davidson?
That's exactly what I was thinking.

MSRP on the new VTX1300's: $9,599

MSRP on new 1200R: $8,595-8,815
MSRP on new 1200C: $9,595- 9,815

From MCNews 1/4 mi. times for stock bikes
VTX1300: 13.50
1200C: 12.99

The maintence on the sportster is easier and cheaper in parts unless you get it done at a stealership.

The resale value on the sportster will be higher when you are ready to move up.

The sportster has the style, the sound, and the feel of a harley not to mention better fit and finish.

The sportster according to MCNews is not only faster but more fuel efficient.
VTX1300: 39.9 mpg average
1200C: 48.5 mpg average

Now why can't you get a Harley again? I know you can't get a softail and you have to compromise, but no reason you can't still get a Harley. The numbers are for the sportster. Remember that some Harley dealers are now selling below MSRP.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200c

Why don’t you start with a Sportster and work you way up to a bigger Harley-Davidson?
That's exactly what I was thinking.

MSRP on the new VTX1300's: $9,599

MSRP on new 1200R: $8,595-8,815
MSRP on new 1200C: $9,595- 9,815

From MCNews 1/4 mi. times for stock bikes
VTX1300: 13.50
1200C: 12.99

The maintence on the sportster is easier and cheaper in parts unless you get it done at a stealership.

The resale value on the sportster will be higher when you are ready to move up.

The sportster has the style, the sound, and the feel of a harley not to mention better fit and finish.

The sportster according to MCNews is not only faster but more fuel efficient.
VTX1300: 39.9 mpg average
1200C: 48.5 mpg average

Now why can't you get a Harley again? I know you can't get a softail and you have to compromise, but no reason you can't still get a Harley. The numbers are for the sportster. Remember that some Harley dealers are now selling below MSRP.
Not to mention, some of the dealers have some interesting deals with Sporty's. Hacienda HD in Scottsdale AZ had a deal where you could buy a Sporty, and trade it in (at the price you paid for it) on a larger bike! Granted, you had to buy from them again to get the deal.

Get a used bike if you have to (regardless of metric or HD). You get a used metric, it's already lost most of it's depreciation, so you won't lose much when you sell it/trade it in. Same with a Harley to a lesser level.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Moosemeat
Advanced

I hate reading baloney about how small the Sporster is- like it is some kind of kid's bike. I would buy a 1200 Sporty in a heartbeat. In fact, I would probably choose one before I bought a Dyna. I have a Road Glide for serious distance riding. A Sporty would be the thing for around town- heck, I would even consider an 883. It's not like you are on a Cushman scooter, for Pete's sake!

For basically the same money, as 1200cc pointed out, you can have a Sportster instead of the VTX- no question, no contest.

And you will flat LEAVE any stock big twin on your "little" Sportster.

Yes, I have owned two sportsters, both ironheads. I loved them- except for having to replace the mirrors and other parts that vibrated off. The new Sporty's don't have any of those problems.

Get the Sportster.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Moosemeat
Advanced

And I was 19 when I got my first Sportster.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:49 PM
slack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was 32 and it was a gift from my wife for my birthday, which was last year.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:27 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First was a Virago, then a Goldwing, and now at 55 My first Harley, maybe it will happen before 55 for you, either way hit the road with two wheels and enjoy.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:34 PM
fuzzyz28
Advanced

I know this is a HD forum, but the VTX1300 is a nice bike and for the money...hard to beat.

I really don't care what you ride either, but the bigger point is...get what YOU really want, whatever bike that is. If you want a HD, and buy otherwise...you won't be happy. I you want a touring rig and buy a sporty...you won't be happy...if you want a simple cruiser and buy a big bagger...you wont' be happy...get the point?

Brands aside, I've "settled" for a particular bike before...nothing wrong with the particular bike...rode well...looked good...but it wasn't what I really wanted...1 year later I got rid of it for a bagger...haven't looked back since.

If you like the VTX...go for it you won't go wrong...but if your getting it simply because you can get a better deal...you may not be happy for long...trust me...I fell in that trap before...and my choice was between two metrics!

Old 04-20-2006, 04:35 PM
mrghos
Road Master

I was 30. It was my present to myself for working so hard. 99 FXSTB. Sold it in 2002, got married and looking to get an 06 Glide...

Quick Reply: Can't afford a Harley