Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Mounting Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Cakalac
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Mounting Procedure

Ok I did it guys, well almost. We've had our bike for about a month now and it's been great until a little issue today. The wife and I were out today with a few friends and she was mounting and the bike tipped to the left and almost went down. I have no idea how I saved it but I think I know what I did wrong, but you guys tell me what you think.

I was already on and waiting for the wife to get on. I think where I went wrong was I was straddled the bike standing up when she got on. When she mounted I was holding up her 150lbs and the 750lb. bike. So needless to say it tipped but we saved it from falling over. The next time we mounted I stayed seated on the seat as she got on and it was ok. The other thing is I'm only 135lbs so needless to say 135lbs v/s 900lbs just doesn't work out and I figured that out today in my first real rookie mistake!

So how do you all do mounting? I know some do with kickstand down and most do it like I've described but thought I'd let you all give me some ideas!

Jim

Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before a passenger gets on my bike, I put the kickstand up and sit in the saddle with my feet planted firmly on each side of the bike and with a good grip on the handle grips.

I tell the passenger to slowly put their weight on the left passenger floorboard and then to slowly lift their right leg over the seat until they can sit down.

That's it. No problem.

EDIT: By the way, I have the bike standing upright, not leaning over when the passenger gets on. Just thought I'd add this to clear up any possible misunderstanding. If the passenger gets on while the bike is over on the jiffy stand, you've got a BIG job of getting the bike upright. It's much easier having the bike upright to start with.

Last edited by Chas63; 02-08-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Have her get on when you are sitting and ready with both feet planted firmly on the ground. Never standing, never on the sidestand, only how I just said . . . us anyways.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cakalac, first let me say I'm not any expert on proper procedure or the coolest way to do it. Having said that, the few times I have ridden two up......

Passenger got on first while bike was on the jiffy stand, then I mounted the bike or I was sitting stradle the bike on perfectly level ground when they stepped up on the left side passenger floorboard and put their leg through to the other side.

Of these two methods, I liked the Jiffy stand way best, and everyone brags how strong the HD Jiffy stands are.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

My wife does as CHAS63 and bcox wife does. Always be in control of bike first. Just a reverse when getting off.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Both feet planted firmly on firm/level/dry surface... Front brake squeezed... Jiffy stand UP... Tell her how you want her to get on and tell her to NOT kick the saddle bag on the other side as she swings her leg over, lol...

Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chas63
Before a passenger gets on my bike, I put the kickstand up and sit in the saddle with my feet planted firmly on each side of the bike and with a good grip on the handle grips.

I tell the passenger to slowly put their weight on the left passenger floorboard and then to slowly lift their right leg over the seat until they can sit down.

That's it. No problem.

EDIT: By the way, I have the bike standing upright, not leaning over when the passenger gets on. Just thought I'd add this to clear up any possible misunderstanding. If the passenger gets on while the bike is over on the jiffy stand, you've got a BIG job of getting the bike upright. It's much easier having the bike upright to start with.
Same way Chas does it but I compress the front brake. One other tip before you go out with friends practice on and off, parking lots ( do you want her to dismount before you back into spaces) and last U-turns.

Always better to practice with out a audiance.

Ride safe and enjoy.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised someone hasn't asked for pics yet before telling you the proper way to "mount" your wife

Old 02-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Cakalac
Tourer

LOL, that's funny. These are the ways I was thinking you all would tell me. I am going to get her to practice with me this week. I should have never stood up on the bike and tried to hold all that weight up. But....we ride and learn. Thanks guys!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 PM
jeepedest
Outstanding HDF Member

first you put the kick stand down..........the you bend her..............oh you mean on the bike....never mind......hehe

Quick Reply: Passenger Mounting Procedure